Saturday, October 29, 2011

I'm a 30 year old Taylor Swift fan.

She plays multiple instruments, sings with just enough twang to call herself country, is the cutest darn thing I've ever seen and last Tuesday night we headed out to see her in person...


I have to admit Carter is kind of the reason I got turned on to her music...




There is something catchy about her songs and they are just sweet enough for little girls to sing along to without their Mama's having to cringe over any of the lyrics...  




But somewhere along the way I started to really listen to the lyrics and you know what I liked them.  She tends to write about things like growing up, Tim McGraw and young love...  




Carter loved the anticipation of the night but by the time Taylor hit the stage she was beginning to fade.  She wound up quietly taking it all in.  Just being honest Nate and I felt like she was the perfect excuse for us to attend because we had the best time.  I have to admit I had a little tear in my eye when she started in on....


You take a deep breath and you walk through the doors
It's the morning of your very first day
you say hi to your friends you aint seen in a while
Try and stay out of everybodys way
its your freshman year and youre gonna be here
for the next four years in this town
hoping one of those senior boys will wink at you and say
you know I havent seen you around, before...


Because there is something about the way that she sings those words that takes me right back to that moment 15 years ago.  I'd be lying if I said there weren't a few things I wish I'd done differently (I'm sure we all have a high school regret or two).  I also find myself thinking about my own little girls and how I hope maybe they'll be spared the same bad decisions their Mama made.  Which about sums up what I think I find so fascinating about the talented Taylor Swift.  She somehow manages to capture so perfectly what being a teenage girl is like.  She blurs the lines of adulthood and effortlessly takes you back in time.  She also seems to be branching out a bit as she herself is growing up.  I find songs like "Ours" going right along with something I've been thinking a lot about lately and that is how each and every person/couples love story is so unique.  Taylor says it more eloquently than I ever could...


So don't you worry your pretty little mind
People throw rocks at things that shine
And life makes love look hard
The stakes are high, the water's rough
But this love is ours...



I would honestly have loved to just sit and listen to her sing.  But her concert goes above and beyond.  With a vintage vibe and bit of cirque de soleil-esque acrobatics and pyrotechnics thrown in the whole thing was...




well....







highly entertaining...




So in short...I'm a 30 year old Taylor Swift fan (and proud of it).



Thanks Carter for taking your Mom and Dad along for the show, we loved every minute of it!


2 comments:

Roxanne said...

Beth, I'm so happy that you and Nate took Carter to see Taylor Swift ! I loved the pictures and your share thoughts!what a great show this must have been. Congrats and big hug!

Lynnette said...

I'm a little behind on reading blogs, but just thrilled to see you all went to Taylor Swift's concert. I just love her (which probably wouldn't excite her that a 55 year old likes her, but...) Carter will have such sweet memories of all the fun things y'all take her to do! Sweet family :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails