Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Section C

Friday night we made the drive north to cheer on the Wildcats...




I've said it before but Friday night football in Texas is quite the experience (my dad the Coach)...  




It's packed with people and I've always had this little fear in the back of my mind that involves losing one of my girls at a game.  For this reason I tend to keep them close.  Never letting them "run the bleachers" or out of my sight.  As Carter gets older she wants to stretch her wings and exercise her freedom a bit.  It's new territory.  


At halftime I let her head down to the concession stand with Kim.  Navigating the crowded stairs on the way back up they became separated.  Little Carter could barely see over the heads as she scanned the bleachers for us and after making it all the way to the top of the stands she realized she was lost.  


Ugh.  I can still remember that feeling as a child.  For me it was a pit in my stomach that grew into panic as I began to feel very alone.  To imagine my sweet little girl experiencing those same emotions is tough.  


She's a smart cookie though and made her way back down to the bottom of the stands.  Fighting back tears she approached a police officer.  I can only imagine my sometimes shy girl trying to work up the courage to ask for help.  I would learn later that after getting his attention she had to repeat herself and speak up just a little so that he could hear her say, "I'm lost.  I'm supposed to be in Section C."  Which is the point in the story where I owe my own sweet Mama a debt of gratitude.  


I missed out attending the first game of the season with Nate and the girls.  My mom had them in the stands while Nate watched from the sidelines.  At some point she told Carter if she was ever to find herself lost she should tell a policeman she was supposed to be in Section C.  This my friends is how I know my Mama has a keen perception and listens to Jesus.  I have no doubt He is the one who prompted this advice knowing that in a few short weeks it would come in handy.  


As you can guess the very nice policeman returned my sweet little girl to us on the double.  It took the better part of 10 minutes for us to piece together her little adventure and I became more grateful by the minute that she was sitting safely in my lap.  I won't allow myself the "what ifs" of a more negative outcome.  That just doesn't seem healthy.  My heart was so proud of her for keeping her wits about her and finding her way back to me...she is my heart.  


Always resilient she was back to her cheering, dancing, smiling self in no time.  I'm pretty sure by the time she made it to her very bubbly bath the next morning the night before was nothing but a distant memory...




Yep, no doubt about it that smile says it all...




We spent the rest of the weekend eating too much good food, running races in my parents backyard (yes you read that correctly and there was even a stopwatch involved), and soaking up just the right amount of togetherness...





Trying to see the good I think those are the experiences that shape and make us.  I like to think that maybe it means in future moments of crisis she will remain calm and handle whatever is thrown her way.  Regardless I'm going to hold her hand a little tighter the rest of the season!

1 comment:

Donna said...

Mom's are like that....Yes they are! We love our children and grandchildren! PTL for His amazing ways!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails