Thursday, May 1, 2008

Be Kind Don't Whine

Today was just one of those day's. I feel certain we all have them. All things seemed to be leading toward me feeling a little down. I won't elaborate on all of them, some things aren't meant to be blogged about. But, after the day I had I'm feeling more convicted than ever about life's latest lesson I'm learning. I was running late for Bible study at our church yesterday but managed to catch the tail end of our last video sermon from Beth Moore. We've been doing the study she recently wrote on the book of Daniel. Anyway, she was emphatically encouraging her peeps on the best way to stand out for Christ. "Do you want to stand out?" she asked. "Do you want your neighbors, people around you to wonder what's different about you?" She's pretty feisty when she gets worked up and she was. "Don't complain!" She went on to explain what a, for lack of a better word, whiny society we have become. I thought it was so simple and so profound. I think I'm going to have to start really small and just ask God to get me through one day (maybe even one hour) at at time without complaining. Wouldn't that just be so refreshing!? After dealing with some complainers today I'm feeling more and more like this world would just be a better place without the "C" word. And you know what? Just when I thought my day couldn't get much worse? It didn't! We had the nicest surprise waiting on our doorstep this afternoon. My sweet aunt and cousin sent Carter a little package with 2 new Lilly Pulitzer dresses just oozing summer goodness! Now there is an example of the absolute opposite of complainer...a do gooder (Thank you Lyn and Nat we love you)! Carter said it best when we pulled them out of the cutely wrapped package, "Those are so adorable!" In case you haven't noticed she's pretty crazy about the word adorable! She just couldn't wait to try one on....It was just the pick me up we needed. It energized me enough to make it to the commissary (grocery store for all you non-military folks) and today was pay day, you can imagine the chaos! I was happy to make it home alive, get all the groceries put away, and escape to my room for a nice hot shower. I walked in and was met by all of my shoes, which had been moved to the middle of my floor by a certain little critter. I must admit my first instinct was to mutter a COMPLAINT under my breath...but God is good. The first thing that popped into my head was how nice it would be when I could just have all my shoes nicely arranged in my closet. When Carter would be old enough that she wouldn't daily pull things out. You know what God said? You'll miss it. Simple right? So true. What will I do when there is no one to mess up my shoes everyday? I'll miss it. I love it. I hope she wants to dress up in my shoes until she's ninety. God is good.

Well, gotta' go my husband just made me dinner!! Was I having a bad day? I suddenly can't seem to remember why.





P.S. I can't believe I almost missed it! HAPPY BIRTHDAY-To my one of a kind brother-in-law John! I always enjoy the time we get to spend with you...never a dull moment, always enlightening! I knew the first time we made "cheese art" together we were going to be friends! Thanks for all you bring to our world, we love bragging about you and your accomplishments to all our friends...it somehow makes us feel like we're super intellectual too! Hope your day was a great one!



John and Carter when she was just a wee little thing:

John's most recent accomplishment--Graduating from The University of Chicago...


John, Dad Mike, and Nate hanging out in WA on our most recent visit...


Did I mention he was just awarded the Fulbright Scholarship? (I told you we like to brag :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beth, Carter does look "adorable". We are so happy the dress fit (perfectly). I am on my 2nd go around of Beth Moore's Daniel study and just love it. It is perfect for this "it's all about me" world that we live in right now. It is amazing to me how people can survive when they complain so much. Oh well, I can't solve all the world's problems, just Carter's "what to wear" one for now. And do enjoy the "mess". Your mom once told me to enjoy Ryan and Nat 'cause they would get too old to rock some day. She was so right (I hate that about her, so don't tell her I said so). They grow up, get their own life, turn 16 and get a car and you never see them again (except when they need some money put in their account). ENJOY THE MESS!!!!!!

Roxanne said...

What a wonderful post! Thank you for sharing 'real' things with us. I'm proud of you in everyway. So the lesson of the day is:

#1) Don't complain.
#2) Forgive until you forget.

You are precious. Carter makes me smile. I love you all. Big Hug!!!

The Army of Allmans said...

Thank you for this post - I am such a complainer and this reminded me to not be as much! And to love the messes while they are happening (though I would like a shoe mess rather than pile of live caterpillars I had in my living room)!! Love seeing such a sweet girl in those cute dresses!! She is such a doll!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails