Monday, May 26, 2008
Champion of My Heart
I'm currently in a sappy state. Nate is heading out soon which always makes me act like a mental patient with 21 different personalities. You can tell just by looking at my poor husband he doesn't know which "Beth" will evolve from moment to moment. It might be my sweet as pie persona or short fuse sally...you just never know these days. He is a trooper. They make him take some class on what your wife goes through when you leave home so maybe that means he's better prepared. Maybe they teach your husband to expect you to gaze lovingly at them for no reason at all and the next second for you to bawl like a baby. I realize as I'm writing this I may be outing myself as an overly emotional loon...maybe I'm the only girl that reacts this way. If so poor Nate. Luckily he always seems to know just how to soothe the me. He's like Mentholatum to a stuffy nose, ice cold water after a long run, a hot shower at the end of a hard day...you get the picture. Maybe that's why my state of mind goes a little toward the crazy side every time he leaves. It's sort of hard to imagine not having Mentholatum, water or a nice hot shower now isn't it? Ok, I could get by without Mentholatum, but other than that you sort of need water and showers on a daily basis. So, I guess if I continue down metaphor lane, when Nate is gone I'm left dehydrated and stinky. Ok, I think I've taken this far enough...but you get the picture. I miss him when he's not here. Sometimes I feel like I'm not cut out for this. I realize there are girls out there who just love being a military wife, they covet the title. I love being Nate's wife. So here's where things get tricky. Nate loves the military, does that mean I love being a military wife? As it relates to him, yes. He makes me so proud. He has excellence ingrained in his soul. He doesn't know how to fail or skate by as "average", it's just not in him. I love seeing him succeed and reap the benefits of all his hard work...it is a great thing to see someone you love excel. You know what else I love? The way he makes me feel like I'm such a part of it. Like we're doing this as a team. I don't wear a flight suit or head off to far away lands, but he makes me feel like this just wouldn't be possible without me. It would. But, do you know what it's like to feel like such a part of something? It is a wonderful thing. I love him so much for taking his successes and sharing them with me...for allowing me to feel like a success too. He is my partner, my best friend, and to borrow a line from one of my favorite movies, the champion of my heart. He's not bad looking either...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
you are so sweet about your husband, he should feel so special! Not sure how long he is going to be gone, but I hope it goes by fast for you and Carter...
Thanks Lanessa! He is leaving for the third time (which means we're about halfway done with this). He goes for 2-3 month "detachments" each time he leaves. Shorter than a lot of squadrons but more frequent. I know Jason is leaving for a little while too...I've been enjoying your blog, I know ya'll are loving having him home!
Post a Comment