I started yesterday off with a fairly organized game plan. I had to turn in my 24 hour urine sample at the hospital (aka what looks like an orange juice jug full of pee) and get some blood drawn. I also had an appointment later that day to re-check my blood pressure. I decided to be ambitious and take the "orange juice" and get the blood drawn earlier in the day so that the results might be available later that afternoon.
Getting out the door proved to be a challenge in and of its self because apparently every item of clothing Carter owns was feeling especially "itchy". No matter how things were put on, folded down, tucked in, she was NOT happy. I was tempted just to stick her in some pajamas a call it a day but she was also insisting upon "looking cute". So, a cute, non-itchy outfit takes quite a while to put together and, to be honest, I was feeling exhausted before we ever walked out the door! To make things just a little more interesting it was also about 28 degrees here which is not my ideal temperature for running errands.
Needless to say we were off and arrived at the hospital. We were pretending to be Dora in the Arctic tundra walking quickly from the parking lot up to the hospital. When we reached the sidewalk Carter said, "Brrrr it is really chilly I need to put my hands in my pockets!" She was trotting happily a couple of steps behind me when I hear a little "ummmmph" sound. I look back and see her laying face down on the concrete...hands still in pockets...and I knew this was not going to be good considering she just caught her body weight with her face! Sure enough up she comes screaming with blood coming quickly from her mouth and down I go, 8.5 months of baby and all. I think we all have those moments as moms. The ones where you just aren't exactly sure what to do. I mean it's freezing, my kid is bleeding profusely, I have an orange juice container full of pee, and I'm just sitting there in the middle of the sidewalk feeling very pregnant.
Luckily some sixth sense usually kicks in and we headed into the closest door. We found a bathroom and I got her cleaned up. I was a little worried about her teeth and the fact that her lip was swelling like a balloon. As we walked out of the bathroom I realized for the the umpteenth time in my life GOD IS A VERY NICE MAN. We just so happened to be in the oral surgery/dental clinic at the hospital. I asked the receptionist if they just might happen to have a little ice pack or something and the next thing I know the nicest man/dentist in camo's is in the waiting room asking how he can help. They took us back and about 5 people doted on Carter checking out her lip and teeth thoroughly. The diagnosis was just a "bad busted lip" and hopefully no permanent damage to her teeth. In a world where so many people seem to be doing their best to just skate through the day I felt so thankful for that dentist and team of people who were so willing to go the extra mile to show a little kindness to an overwhelmed pregnant mom.
I just knew getting around the hospital at that point was going to be virtually impossible. Most kids who are getting over a little trauma just want there moms to hold them and that is a little difficult for me right now. But Carter was such a trooper and walked all over kingdom come with me delivering my "orange juice jug" (which by the way had never left my side during all the drama of the morning, kinda' funny that the whole time I was carrying around a paper bag with my pee in it!) and getting my blood drawn. She has not complained once about her lip hurting, but as you can see by this photo from my really crappy camera phone, she was looking pretty pitiful...
I find myself wanting to treasure the little moments with Carter (playing a game, coloring, whatever) knowing that life is about to get a little crazier. It has truly blessed my heart to have four and a half years of time spent concentrating on this sweet little girl. I know that our new baby will only add the same amount of love and happiness that welcoming Carter did and that will be an awesome thing for sure. I've also decided that it is kinda' silly that I've yet to "publish" our new babies name (we've told our family and some friends so it's really no secret). So without further ado I'm happy to share...
22 comments:
Beautiful! The name that is... I also love reading your stories, I can always imagine everything you are doing. Sorry about the yucky day. I hope you are relaxing with your feet up before your new little munchkin comes into the World.
i love the name! i remember being pregnant with keira how BIG i felt especially chasing after the boys..... here is hoping all your labs come back great, and emerson will make her appearance SOON on her own:) You all are in my thoughts and prayers!
Congrats to you and your family on your soon to be precious girl! I'm right behind you in the "feeling like I'm going to POP" department! We're having a girl, too, next month and can't wait. As I was reading your story I couldn't help but sit here and laugh and nod my head, because I can SO RELATE right now! Congratulations again...and I love the name you have chosen for her!!
You are such a wonderful woman and mom!!
And I LOVE the name. So beautiful!
Many prayers are being sent your way as you enter the final stages of your pregnancy.
Oh, sweet Carter's lip just hurts my "mama heart." I can't even imagine what that scene was like. Thank God for good people in the right place at the right time. Praise God, it sounds like she is doing well now!
And about Emerson Kate's beautiful name...I'm NOT KIDDING when I tell you that my mom and I were just talking about what your second little girl's name would be yesterday. Once I saw that it started with an "E," the names started flying! And you know what the top name was we thought you and Nate would choose??? EMERSON!!! I can't even believe that I would know you that well to pick the right "E" name! Needless to say, I LOVE IT and think it's the PERFECT name for Carter's little sis. Can't wait to see pictures of Emerson's arrival! xoxo
Poor Carter! She's such a trooper it sounds like. I hate those kind of days. I'm so excited to see pictures soon of Emerson! Good luck with everything.
Poor sweet little Carter. I'm thankful she's ok and thankful her mom is a super preggo woman with great skills! That is a BEAUtiful name. I hope you are relaxing!
What a cute name.
What a great, strong, and unique name! Love it! I wish you guys the best Beth! I know your going to do an amazing job! Soon you will look back on these days of feeling mighty prego!!! Lots of love and prayers!
Oh, my! Poor Carter! It did make for quite a fantastic story, but I feel for the little lady... and the pee-toting mama! As for the name, it was up there on my list of names! I LOVE IT! Very cool, yet unique without being weird. I hope Miss Emerson makes her debut as soon as possible, for your sake. So glad Nate will be there. I felt so much more relaxed about everything when Dustin finally showed up a few days before Naomi did. Praying that your labor goes well and looking forward to seeing pictures of this gorgeous new Saxton!
Darling name. At SPU, I lived in the dorm Emerson, and I always thought that (and my other dorm Ashton) would make a good name. My only problem is it doesn't start with a C, which is my dumb prerequisite. But it is darling. As is Kate.
Very cute name!! And I also felt such sympathy for Carter because she looked so miserable in that photo. But way to go for keeping it together preggo. You deserve to win a medal in the pregnant olympics for all of that effort. Only a few more weeks to go!!
Oh My! How I wish I had been there to help you girls. I'm so proud of you both and grateful for God's kind assistance. See you soon. I'll be waiting for the call...I will answer my phone! I will answer my phone! I will, I will, I will!!!
Wow, that's a doozy! Give her a big hug from the Hudocks and a fist pound from Brennan for being so tough. Beautiful name, hang in there for this last little bit!
Oh Beth! Poor Carter and poor MOM! What a day, but you are right...God is good and it is always a blessing for us to see the good that he brings out of each situation. LOVE the name you picked out too. You are so close :)
Love reading your blog! We were going to name our daughter Emerson, but then changed to Cate the day she was born. (We have a Carter too) Great names :) Best wishes...hang in there.
LOVE the name - so very cute, and so perfect for the Saxton family! I'm so anxious for her to get here, can't wait to see some pictures of that beautiful little girl!
Hello. This is my first visit to your blog. Congrats on the new baby...lovely name.
I read several of your posts...love the Bostons!...we love the Gulf Shores!
Thank you for sharing your posts and photos.
Sharon
Oh, Beth! What a day! Carter is a trooper and so are you. I LOVE the name. I was born at Emerson Hospital=) We're thinking and praying for you guys during this home stretch.
Awww poor Carter! I love Emerson! It sounds perfect with Carter...
You always seem to have excited stories!! Carter's lip looks like it hurt so bad. I hope she's better now. I love the name you guys picked out and I can't wait to hear that she's arrived. Hope you guys are doing well!
I'm so sorry to hear that you and Carter had such a rough day!! Her poor little lip!!!! I hope she's feeling better and I hope you're hanging in there. The last bit of pregnancy is tough. I'm just starting my sixth month and feeling great but I know what's to come so I'm enjoying it now while I can. :) I love the name you've picked out for your new baby girl and I can't wait to see her when she gets here!! God bless.
~ Wendy
http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment