This one's for the girl...whose ever had a really bad haircut! And, I'm not talking about the one you just didn't like much or that time you took in a photo of Jen Aniston and came out looking more like the local newscaster. No, no, no...I'm talking a really BAD haircut. I guess I should back up and start at the beginning. Not so long ago (let's say about a week and a half to be exact) I was contemplating a new do. I was in desperate need of a little help in the hair color dept. (picture bad roots and a lot of blonde) and I thought it might be fun to have a new cut as well. After much contemplation...because that's just the kind of girl I am...I made the very BOLD decision to not cut my hair at all. What can I say? I like to play it safe. I steer clear of danger and I don't think anyone has ever used daredevil and my name in the same sentence. So, I know getting your hair cut isn't a major feat or anything, but when given the choice between playing it safe or taking a risk I was taking the road most traveled (at least by me). Before the decision was final I made appointments for both (color and cut) with two different stylists. The color was going to be done by someone whose taken care of it here in Abilene before and the cut was a new "fashion forward" guy whose been slicing my mom's hair. Ok...this is a lot of information but hang in there your about to see what I'm dragging you along for. So, yesterday I head off to get my overly processed blonde broken up with a few low lights. I arrived and discussed the color and the fact that I DIDN'T WANT TO CUT MY HAIR and the girl held up my, if we're being honest, somewhat dead ends and said, "Are you sure you don't want me to just trim the ends up for you?" She had that look in her eye that conveyed what she was really thinking which was, "This is pitiful, and you are a mess, and if you say no you're stupider than you look!" So, I did what any person who just can't say no would, I said, "Sure, but only if you have time." Unfortunately for me she did. I'll let the pic's and video speak for themselves, but let's just say I came home with far more than a trim and a new do that looked like it had been whipped out with a dull butter knife: 
After a good cry I got a sense of humor about the whole thing and realized my only hope was the "fashion forward" Toby, whom I had never cancelled my upcoming appointment with. I wasn't really sure there was much he could accomplish with the mess I had been left with, but I was hoping he would be up for the challenge.
Fast forward to this morning. As I sit in a very cool very un-Abilene hair salon downtown I am met by Toby who looked a lot like this guy...
I explained my hair woes and the fact that if you had a scale with a rocker chick on one end and a librarian on the other I would rate much closer to the librarian (a cool librarian, but a librarian none the less). I wanted to be sure he understood that I just couldn't pull off the deranged "I cut my hair myself with a box cutter" look. He considered going for the beyond popular angled bob, but asked me how I would feel about giving him a little creative freedom and doing something a little different. Having just been scarred by the (and these are my mom's exact words) "worst haircut I have ever seen!" I was a little leery of going for something different. But, being somewhat of a creative person myself I realize this is one of the biggest things someone can do, and usually yields the best results so...I said yes. Lucky for me Toby is fashion forward and somewhat of a miracle worker. He turned the haircut, that looked like Carter got after me with the kiddie scissors, into something I actually like. I feel like I can leave my house with a little bit of dignity which is a good thing.
And just in case your wondering now would be a GREAT time for my hunky husband to leave me a super sweet comment about how gorgeous he thinks my hair is, and how he would love me to the moon and back even if I was bald. As most girls know the scare of a bad haircut can threaten to knock the self-esteem right out of you! All I can say is, "Whew, that was a close one!"
14 comments:
I hate to say it, but I was laughing at your story until I saw the pictures. Did she know how upset you were when you left? Needless to say, I love the new do! It looks great! I'm one of those "not scared to do whatever with my hair" people so I usually just tell them to do whatever they feel like. I will now be leary of doing that again!
Thanks Elaine! I failed to mention that when she had finished my "trim" she grabbed a curling iron and whipped out a few bad curls, probably to describe the mess. It wasn't until I got home and flat ironed it that we could really see the damage! :)
Oh my gosh Beth... what was she thinking? The thing is even though it was a bad haircut you still looked beautiful!! I LOVE THE NEW DO!!!! You look awesome....you just wait ..when you get back and everyone in the OH sees it... it is going to be the new style for sure :) Can't wait to see you on Tuesday!
Your video had me cracking up!!! I love your new do!
Hey, nice haircut! I have a similar cut right now, so I'm definitely a fan. The first cut, however, would have had me crying, too! I can't believe she did that to your hair! Luckily, you have a good sense of humor about it!!!
You're one of my dearest friends and I wouldn't mind telling you a little white lie just to make you feel good, but this one I just can't pull off. That haircut was hideous! I think I know who did it and I will have to say thanks for saving me from ever going there again...even if it would save me a few bucks.
OOOH girl! I need to know who did it! So I don't go there! Sorry you had that experience! But it does look really cute now! At least you have a really funny story to tell (or show) now.
April
I was laughing so hard I cried! Hands down, worst haircut ever! But of course now it looks fantastic! Thanks for the good laugh :)
There is only one person I know that could give that bad of a haircut. I won't mention her name, r_ _ _ _ _ _, but she gave me one about 38 years ago. I think she gave my mom one too. After that they stripped her of her "trim comb". Last I heard she had gotten hold of a new and was looking for her next victim. Be afraid, be very afraid!
Love to Carter.
wow! worst haircut ever! Great reference to rhys ifans. I love that guy in Notting Hill. That's good that you were rescued. I don't believe you when you said Carter didn't do it. You would be the coolest mom ever if you did let her cut your hair.
Hey Gorgeous...one word GORGEOUS! I love you! Nate
oh, beth...i'm so sorry! but your hair looks great now!! :-) when we first got to enid, i got a horrible haircut and the lady i went to to fix it said that the other lady had given me "spank-me bangs". i'd never heard that phrase before, but figured it had some sort of reference to a child cutting her own bangs and getting a spanking. it made me laugh for quite a while. :-)
I love your NEW haircut! I was totally cracking up at your little video, so at least your experience was able to provide some amusement :)! We can't wait to see ya'll!
Such a funny blog, love it and love your new hair!!
Post a Comment