Friday, February 22, 2008

Pasty...I really don't like that word.

So, I put on a pair of running shorts today and thought to myself, not only are my legs a pretty pasty shade of winter white, but there is definitely some post baby cellulite I'm still proudly sporting. I know it's been two and a half years and I should be back in shape by now, but the problem is sometimes I don't remember what the "in shape" me really looks like, let's just say it's been a while. I begin to think about all the things that have led up to and contributed to my new bod and it makes me feel just a little bit better. I mean pregnancy and birth really aren't a piece of cake, although as often as the process is repeated it seems like this fact is quickly forgotten. And, I truly did have the best of intentions post baby. I thought I would hit the gym with reckless abandon and be back in shape in no time. Those first few weeks stretched into months, I went through a few great phases don't get me wrong, but I must be the first to admit I have been anything but committed. Partly because my life was filled with something I hadn't realized would be so consuming in every way. Her blue eyes followed my every move and working out and "me" in general somehow just didn't seem so important anymore. Is it bad that for this reason, which has now turned into a pretty feisty 2 year old, I'm pretty happy with my mommy body. Sure, it's far from perfect (not that it ever was), but it is well earned. I'm not giving up or anything, I've never been a quitter. I'm enjoying the new gym membership I've had since the beginning of the year. They have a great kids room and for the first time since Carter was born it is actually possible to spend some time everyday breaking a sweat. I'm also resigned to the fact that my body won't ever look like it did before I had a baby. I guess in some weird way I feel like I traded in the old me for something much more meaningful than looking great in a pair of running shorts...and ironically, she looks REALLY great in a pair of shorts!

1 comment:

lyndsay said...

I can relate to you. I live in one of the sunniest cities in America and I look like the fairest of them all. For a few reasons:1. the average temp. in the summer is 110 and no one wants to sweat to death. 2.tanning beds appearentely are really bright coffins. Finally 3. I don't want to look like I just jumped out of a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie set playing an oompa loompa. I justify my blinding whiteness by telling myself that I will be thankful when I am 60 and people think that I am 40.I guess we will find out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails