Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Brave Little Munchkin

Last night wasn't supposed to be eventful, but it was. My mom (more on her fun visit soon) and I were getting ready to head to bed a little before midnight. She has been cooking for me (YIPEE) and so we headed out to the garage to put a few things in the freezer. Unfortunately for us the door just happened to slam behind us and it is just happened to be....LOCKED!! It took me a second to process the fact that my house is about as secure as Ft. Knox and the only person who might be able to let us in was three and just happened to be fast asleep.

The only thing I knew to do was try and wake her up. So I headed to the backyard, in Nate's 3 sizes too big tennis shoes, to begin banging on her window. I alternated the banging with calling her name for a good five minutes (I'm sure my neighbors think I'm nuts) when I finally heard her little voice (and it was slightly exasperated) say, "WHAT!" Victory, I thought, feeling like half the battle was over. "Can you go to the kitchen baby, Mommy's locked out!" I run to the next window down and peek through the half open blinds waiting for her to appear. And much to my delight here she comes, half asleep and looking quite disoriented but she is there!!

I tap on the window saying, "Here I am sweetie, mommy is locked out can you turn the knob?" She tries but unfortunately I realize that the back door is going to be way too big of a challenge. It is dead bolted and she is tired with a capital T. She begins to cry and tells me she can't do it. I convince her to head to the sliding glass door thinking it is our best bet, but once there she quickly gives up and I fear she may just lay back down on the floor and go to sleep. I can only catch glimpses or her through the blinds as she wanders around the house and then she disappears. I begin to think I'm going to have to break a window. I don't know what else to do...but, just when I think all hope is lost I see her come back into the kitchen!

She is so brave and I finally convince her to go to the garage door to let me in...I know she won't open it unless she can hear my voice so I sprint (as fast as I can in my size 12's) back around the house to the garage. I can hear her and encourage her through the crack in the door to just turn the button...that's all she has to do...then...CLICK the sweetest sound and we're in!!

Thank goodness my sweet girl is 3 going on 30, I seriously could not have been more proud of her. And, I may or may not have promised her a new doll somewhere in all my coercing and convincing...I had actually forgotten, but as she fell asleep she told me she knew just the one she would pick out from the NEX. I'm thinking it's probably cheaper than replacing a broken window, and a lot less messy!!

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

Phew! Go, Carter! I thought I'd locked myself out a few weeks ago... that's a bad feeling!

Lynnette said...

This is great. Seems like I remember hearing stories of Granny getting locked out of the house when Roxie and I were little. There was also something about Rox in the baby bed with me or Chris and she had a hammer. Might check that out for details, but Chris and I are fine. Y'all have fun.

Sole Ravendo said...

HA, ha! It happens to all of us...that's why we decided to have a spare key in the garage (I'm telling you that door locks itself at least once a week!). Good job Carter! Enjoy your Mom's visit and her cooking!

Molly said...

oh adventures of a navy wife! glad you got back in!!! miss you guys!

full of gracie said...

Oh!! Sweet Carter! So glad she was such a BIG girl! Beth, I am sure your stomache hurt at the thought of her being scared when you woke her up from outside the window. I think I might have had a fleeting thought to just spare her and sleep outside. LOL! So glad it all worked out!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails