Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Bubbly

I think nothing says SUMMER like bubbles in the backyard...


Carter has been enjoying some fun in the sun this week with some of her best buddies. I love seeing her with her friends, hearing her talk about them, watching her make stuff for them. I don't have the heart to tell her that within the next month or so all of her nearest and dearest won't be here anymore. Sometimes this all feels like a bit much. I mean it's bad enough that you spend countless nights at home missing your husband/dad, but then for reasons related to the military your friends are suddenly gone too. Don't get me wrong we've still got some great ones here, that's for sure. But saying goodbye is never easy and to be honest I'm getting just a little sick of it. I know that it's just another milestone in the "military life" but I don't think that means I have to like it. For those of you that have done this before (I'm thinking specifically of Megs and Sam with your kids most recently) how do you break the news and what do you say...advice is appreciated!!

2 comments:

Megs said...

Gosh- it is a hard one. To be honest- it was probably a little easier on us because we were the ones moving. In new surroundings- our three year old was able to focus on his new bed, new color door and new playgrounds. He does ask for Kennedy though- he wants to show her his Thomas underwear- yes- he said this while we were at Target.... and I honestly explained that Kennedy was back at her home and maybe one day would see them. To make him feel better we made her a card when he got home to send to her and tell her about them- coincidentally we were watching an Elmo's World about sending mail.
Not sure if there is any kid videos available that talk about people moving- but it may help. I know there are some kids books.
Fact is- I feel like I am always moving since I left college. And sometimes I wonder if it is harder on us as parents and as adults, as it is with our kids- especially at this age. Because Luke seems happy writing Kennedy letters and seeing her pictures on the blog-- while I miss the times our families spend together....
Sorry for the lack of "advice"- you are right- it is the part of the military lifestyle I have really come to dislike.
Hang in there,
Megs

Dacia said...

oh it's hard enough for me to deal with all the friend changes that military moving causes...i cannot imagine having to explain it to my kiddos. that's one i hadn't thought of yet.
so far, ellie's had to say goodbye to mommy's friends, but none of her own yet. i'm sure she's noticed a little, but she's still too young to express it. i never even thought about how it has affected her/will affect her.

good luck! poor little carter! she will be a stronger and more outgoing person because of it (if that's even possible at all) :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails