Wednesday, April 29, 2009

L I F E


I've had this thought that has been taking shape over the past couple of weeks. It all started when we were having our mucho fabulous weekend in Tahoe. It was just the three of us and I think maybe it hit me as we were all sitting in our own tubes heading up the hill on a zip cord...if I had a baby right now this wouldn't be happening. Ok...back up Bethie...a little explanation might be necessary.

So, here's the deal. Our beautiful, and not such a baby anymore, baby is now three and a half. This means that most of the time there is pretty much a big fat elephant in the room and his name just happens to be, "When are you having another baby????" I get this question a lot, or I used to. Lately it seems like the elephant just sort of sits there quietly, his presence is actually kinda' awkward and annoying. I get it, when you look around we are becoming more and more of a rarity. There aren't many of us around, and by us I mean families with just one child quickly approaching four years of age with no baby on the way, that would be us. And just to clear the air it's not for a lack of trying, or I guess I should say trying as best one can when ones husband is home on a very irregular basis. Over the last year or so I've been a little consumed with the greener grass on the other side. As friend after friend after acquaintance after acquaintance becomes pregnant or has a baby I am, and I say this with truth in my heart, beyond happy for them. But, I've also had the baby bug, and the fact that there is no baby for me leads down the path of worry and to all the questions that go with it, namely being, "what's wrong with me?" So, when I say what I am about to say please know that it is no way meant to take away from what a beautiful thing it is to have a baby or a family with multiple children. I have been jealous of you almost everyday for the past year and a few months or so...what I am about to say is about me finding the joy in where I'm at. Put it this way, if life was one big bowl of chocolate ice cream it would be pretty plain without a few sprinkles on top...

Lately I've been missing the sprinkles in my life, but I think God just showed me something...

I've got more sprinkles than I know what to do with...

Which brings me back to the tubing hill. There we were tubing along happy go lucky family of three. Staying at a posh little boutique hotel our trio soaking in the hot tub. Traveling, going to movies, spending hours at the park, dinner out, etc. etc. And while some of it would be possible with the baby I've been dreaming of, some of it would not (or it would at least be a lot more difficult). I'm not giving up or anything. But while I was cleaning up after dinner last night it kinda' hit me that this is my life. I'm living it. Of course we have goals and dreams and hopes for the future, we have all that good stuff. But instead of willing it to get here faster or happen more quickly I want to look at where I'm at as the gift that it is. I'm sure someday there will be another sweet person for our family to love and adore, but right now there is this little blond angel whose constant chatter keeps me pretty entertained. What an amazing thing to have all this time to get to know her so well. To have all these special memories just the three of us. It's not a curse, it's a gift...and I'm going to start being more thankful for it. I'm digging in so to speak...

And, while I should probably save this for the fastly approaching Mother's Day, I just have to say I am SO thankful for my own mom. At my "stage" in life she already had two of us and was about to deliver number three! How the heck did you do it mom??? I'm thinking your aprons must've whipped around and done double duty as a cape! You are a super-maman in my book! And, while I'm not exactly following in your footsteps by popping out babies left and right, I hope I can be half the mom you were. You made my life sweeter and I love you...

E N J O Y I T!!

12 comments:

Bethany said...

What a sweet post... reminding me to take notice of the little things around me and live in the moment! Thanks!

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

Carter is so lucky to have all your attention! Just think of what a good foundation you are giving her in these important years. :) Enjoy your sprinkles...

Anonymous said...

Beth I totally agree. I LLLOOOOVVVEEE it just being the 3 of us. When God is ready for us to become a foursome that will be fine, but I am trying to soak up this precious time with my pretty girl, and make memories that she will remember. Love the post, I have a hard time explanining my feelings to people when I get asked that question, so I am going to refer them to your blog from now on!!!!!!!

The Army of Allmans said...

Beth- as a person on the completly other side of the "grass" - I envy YOU everyday. Not that I would take any of my boys back, but to get that special time with a child daily, to teach and play with them without having to share and try to divide yourself in 4 pieces, would be so nice! I am glad you see what God has given you and will appreciate it. If only we could switch places every now and then!

Dacia said...

the grass truly is always greener on the other side. the thing i'm scared most about having baby number 2 the dividing my attention. i LOVE it being just the 3 of us and if i had it my way, i would have planned to keep it this way a little longer. but 7 weeks from now that will all change and i have no idea how i'm gonna do it.

i'm glad you're able to see the beauty in the treasure you've been given. i also doubt you'd be able to travel as much with nate gone if you had 2 kiddos. it is a blessing, but i do hope with you that God grants you that deep desire in your heart!! :-)

Autumn said...

Beth,

My husband and I have been in the same boat for 18 months now...truly being happy for all those that surround us that are blessed with expanding their families, but having such a deep desire to have another baby of our own. I can't help but think what a great sister my daughter would be. And we love our daughter so much that we can't wait to love another child the way we love her.

But we know that God knows best and His timing is perfect! My husband has had such a crazy schedule with med school and is about to be gone for the entire fall. God knew that and I am thankful now that we might have the chance to just pack up and go with him. And I, too, am so thankful for the sweet time I have with my daughter. It's a time I won't get back, and I have learned to cherish every minute.

I totally identify with you and am thankful to know that I'm not the only one who is on this particular journey. You have reminded me that the three of us are so blessed to be where we are now and that number 4 will come at just the perfect time! Your positive outlook on life is so contagious! I know we only know each other through the blog world, but I am thankful to find encouragement in your words.

Autumn

Anonymous said...

Beth,
I know how you feel. When Gracelyn was 18 months we started trying again. After about 6 months, I realized I'm perfectly happy right where I am. I occasionally get a little pang of jealousy when I see a pregnant belly or a precious new baby. Then I look at my honeys and my heart melts. Right now, the 3 of us are perfect for each other.

Amber

Anonymous said...

Beth...once again, you have a gift with words and a way to express yourself! We always tend to look to the other side but we always (most the time) forget to look our side and find in little things all the joy and happiness. Everything comes in time and God knows when you are ready...in the meantime let's not forget (I include myself here) to treasure what we have and make our side of the grass greener by having a positive attitude! I truly enjoy your blog! Thanks for sharing!

Sole

Kimberly said...

Beautiful, Beth! I had a struggle with being happy for those expecting babies and being slightly jealous when we were trying for Lawson. It was a year or so of all-consuming waiting and happened when I gave it up. Honestly, with the second on the way, I'm really grasping at these moments with just Lawson. There is something really perfect about it. Carter is one lucky girl to have such a great mom (and dad). I'm happy for you that you are finding peace and enjoyment in the way things are. I wish I had been able to do that a little more when it was just Dustin and I.

Elaine said...

Beth, thank you for always being so open and honest about your feelings and where you are in life. I am reading the book "In Search of a Confident Faith" and yesterday is was talking about trying to control every situation in our lives. We should know by now we are NOT in control and God has better things in store for us than anything we could ever plan out. If only we could truly place all of our everyday lives , worries, planning, hopes and dreams in His hands and be content. I glad you are happy with where you are right now and pray that in God's timing your family will grow!

Roxanne said...

My dearest daughter. Thank you for sharing your journey. It brings me great joy to watch you grow. Thank you for blessing me with your sweet words. As usual my 'cup runneth over' with His love. You are a jewel! May all your sprinkles sparkle! I love you so much.

Beth said...

Thank you all for your sweet words and encouragement...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails