Change your diapers
change your clothes
do the laundry
wipe your nose
Down for a nap
work still to do
wash the dishes
fix your food
Feed you lunch
go for a walk
Swinging so high
sweet baby talk
Some changes big
Some changes small
But the change in my heart
is the greatest of all
I ran across this poem I had written while I was cleaning out our garage today. I think I wrote it when Carter was around 10 months old. I realize it is very simple and may even seem a little silly...but as I read it this afternoon it still described so perfectly how I feel.
Being a stay-at-home mom is sometimes an exercise spent in daily rituals that seemingly never end. Finishing a task only to realize it almost always needs to be repeated. I'd be lying if I said that part of it doesn't get a little old.
But, you know what doesn't? My current favorite five seconds of the day. It's the few moments I spend each evening after I wrap Emme up tightly in her hooded towel. She is fresh from the bath and I sweep her into my arms. It takes just about five seconds to walk from the bathroom, down the hall, and to her room. But for those sweet seconds she gets so still and we gaze adoringly into each others eyes. It's brief and, if I'm being honest, ends with her trying to kick the tar out of me as I attempt to dry her off and get her jammie's on. Definitely a daily ritual that doesn't get old. Wanna' hear another one? It's that moment right before Carter drifts off to sleep, when she is almost to drowsy to make out her words and she mumbles, "I love you mommy," under her breath. She hardly ever calls me mommy anymore and I'd wash a thousand dishes just to hear her say it.
I'm kinda' loving all the ways my world got rocked when I became a mom. And I'm thankful for a simple little poem stuck in a box that reminded me of how much I really love my day job.
2 comments:
You rock my world!
That was a beautiful post, Beth. I haven't read your blog in a while and I look forward to catching up on past posts. Your babies have grown so much!!! Please thank your husband for me for serving our country. God bless you all. : )
~ Wendy
http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment