Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Stuck on You

When we first got married we had a few kinks to iron out. Apparently I didn't really know how to do laundry. I mean I did it...I washed it, I dried it, and then, if I was short on time, I nicely laid/stacked it until I could put it away. Apparently this isn't the proper way to do things. After a few months Nate finally pointed out that in order to have his "work shirts" looking oh so fine you had to hang them just so on the hanger and button the top button just like this and smooth out the wrinkles just like that...and you get the idea.


Well, I was a little flustered, but apparently the wardrobe of a working man requires more attention than that of a college gal. Oh, and I didn't use dryer sheets, GASP, which apparently made me a real laundry amateur. But, I took it all in stride (and politely told him he was more than welcome to do his own laundry and shove his dryer sheets where the sun don't shine...ok...I made that part about the dryer sheets up...but you get picture, I was just a little defensive). Luckily my husband is the most diplomatic man you'll ever meet and lacks the overreactive gene I was so amply blessed with and didn't let my outburst hurt his feelings. And he did start doing his laundry and mine (yeah, he's like the epitome of the turn the other cheek thing) and I had to eat a little humble pie because he was really good at it and it turns out I had a few things to learn. He was patient with me back then (he still is) and I fell even more in love with him for it. And, while my laundry skills often digress, you can usually find a few loads piled high and waiting to be folded. And, while I'm sure this secretly drives my man crazy...you'd never know it by the way he kisses me. And oddly enough when he joined the military he not only became a flight officer he also became an expert at the ironing board. It was necessary for all of those "inspections" he had to go through, but I think he secretly loves it. And he's nice enough to share the wealth and iron my clothes on Sunday mornings or before we head out for a date (which is the only time I care) he takes good care of me. Which gets me to the whole reason I started this post (for anyone who has continued reading this long about our love and laundry I promise I'm almost done)!! So, remember how I said I didn't use dryer sheets and Nate is a little obsessed?? He is also a firm fighter and hater of static cling. He can't stand it. When we lived in a little studio apartment in Cleveland for a short time he would lay dryer sheets all around the place in strategic spots because he felt like the whole building was just filled with static. As you can imgine this just about drove me crazy because it's a little hard to decorate around a dryer sheet motif. And when I opened my email this morning all of these thoughts of our "history of laundry and life" just came flooding back. Apparently the bed at his hotel is one big shock just waiting to happen (which actually caused him to change rooms once thinking that would solve it, but it looks like it is a hotel wide issue, somebody call Obama quick!)...don't be alarmed though, he informed me he stuffed a whole box of dryer sheet down there and that did the trick!
I'm stuck on you Nate...and your not getting rid of me with a dryer sheet either.

8 comments:

Molly said...

Beth, I didn't know about dryer sheets until we got married either. And I was the kid whose JOB was folding the laundry because supposedly "I did it best." I think that was a lie my mother told me so that I would do it instead of her. So use that trick on Carter. Then you wont have to fold laundry EVER! :)

The Army of Allmans said...

I really thing the laundry obsession is a military thing...Jason freaks if I don't use a dryer sheet and he is now doing his own laundry too. Cute post!

Sam said...

This is oh so funny Beth! It totally reminds me of our laundry kinks we had to work out in the earlier years of marriage. Jared just got out of OCS after our wedding and I apparently didn't know how to fold shirts properly. Well as you can guess, years later I'm a military fold pro. I think Jared may have that secret love for ironing as well - maybe him and Nate can share their tricks! CUTE POST!!!

Roxanne said...

Thanks for the laugh, sweetie. You are so entertaining. i love you!

Kayce said...

What a great story!! I love reading your blogs!

Heather said...

You are so lucky Nate does your laundry. Apparently, I do laundry better than Dale because I am always stuck washing, stacking-stacking-stacking....then folding and putting away.

Autumn said...

I can so totally relate! Brian, formerly being in the Navy too, actually taught me a thing or two about laundry and ironing when we first got married! Who knew there were so many "rules"?! Cute post!

Beth said...

So funny! I talked to Sean after I read your blog a few days ago and he was telling me that he was heading out to dinner with Nate. Then I put it together that Fallon was where Nate was dealing with the static. Sean says he's shocked all the time by it. He's having fun catching up with Nate and getting some good advice about dryer sheets=)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails