Thursday, September 2, 2010

My dad's a pretty smart guy.

I was hanging out with one of my favorite people this morning, who also just happens to be my sister which is pretty convenient. While we were visiting she mentioned that when she was first thinking about starting her business (which is booming) she called my dad up for a little advice. She then shared the thing he told her that meant the most which was this...
That hit me like a ton of bricks. You see, while I'm sure that this quote is spot on for business women like my sister and definitely applies to my dad's arena of high school football, I couldn't help but quickly feel like it was meant for me too.

While I don't get to take cool trips to San Francisco for chic business conferences like my sister...or Coach a bunch of smelly high school boys like my dad (pretty sure I wouldn't want that job!) I am plenty busy with my own sweet babies right here at home.

My job may be a little (okay a lot) less glamorous, but it is my job. It is what I spend all my time doing and what I pour my heart and soul into. Sure, I have other things that I dabble in or like to devote some of myself to here and there, but if you were to do a pie chart of my life time spent "mothering" my kids would definitely be the biggest piece. I love it, really I do, but it isn't always the most glamorous of occupations. There isn't always a lot of "credit" being handed out, and the results may not be clearly seen for another 20+ years or so. And, honestly speaking, let me just admit I sometimes long for a pat on the back, an atta' girl, or heck while I'm dreaming even a paycheck!

But when my sister shared my dad's quote I realized something...none of that really matters. Like most things in life our family is a team effort. The more time I spend contributing and the less time I spend looking for credit the better off we'll be. Which means that if I forget about being "noticed" and "recognized" for my efforts the sky is the limit!

I'm thinking this may be my new favorite quote and it just happens to come from one of my favorite people. Thanks dad, you're a pretty smart guy.

4 comments:

Megs said...

that is so very true! thanks for the post beth- on a day when ben is pretty close to getting his order for the boat tour- i have been kind of in the "what about me?" state of mind. yes- i love being a mom, but some days (ok- most) are not glamorous and as you pointed out not much thanks....
time for me to roll up my sleeves and just contribute in the ways i can:)
thanks again!

Savannah Hennig said...

I so needed this. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I can't tell you how much I needed to hear this today!!!
Being a mommy is awesome and is truly rewarding when I get thos sweet hugs and kisses by my two boys . . .but sometimes I need to take off the fake smile with a good friend that's a mommy too, that understands that sometimes I get incredibly tired, frustrated and wonder, "what am i? chopped liver?"
I needed to hear this. Thanks Beth!! You are awesome and I look up to you, I always have. I have always wanted a big sister and since I don't have one. . .I deem you my big sister. You always seem to have wise words, support, encouragment. You are awesome!!
I love you.
p.s You are an AMAZING mommy!!

Lynnette said...

Hi Beth, I am a little behind on reading the "family" blogs, but just wanted to tell you that this one is great. Being a stay-at-home mom for almost 23 years has been amazing. I guess my time as an actual "stay-at-home" mom is probably coming to a close since the kiddos are now 22 and 19. However, I wouldn't trade one single minute of it, praise or no praise. There will be a few low times, but believe me, there are a LOT MORE of the high times. As your mom once told me, "enjoy every minute of it, because it will be gone before you know it". At the time my kids were in early to mid- elementary school and though I believed her, I had no idea of how true it would be. They were gone in a blink of an eye. You're a great mom with an even greater job. Love you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails