Tuesday, March 15, 2011

5.5

Today I have been a mother for exactly five and a half years. My beautiful little Carter is growing up. 

Toddler hood and temper tantrums have been replaced by mile long legs and, much to my chagrin, a rather sassy attitude at times. This indoctrination into "girlhood" is keeping me on my toes...




I find myself feeling a little shocked at how adamant she suddenly is about her hair being curled, or her clothes "matching". I feel like we are entering uncharted waters. And while there are a few rough edges we are working on I can't help but love the newly developing opinions coming from this little person (whose looking more grown up than ever)...



This past weekend we celebrated at my cousin's wedding and while Nate kept Emme (because he is fabulous like that) Carter accompanied me to the rehearsal dinner and reception. She handled herself like a champ. Dancing, dining, and acting like a little lady. She is a joy to be around and I look forward to having her at my side any chance I get...




I have to admit with all this "growing up" she's doing I found myself a little teary. She was completely enamored with the bride and groom and I felt that thing in my heart say, "It won't be too long", and I know it's right. As quickly as time flies we'll turn a few pages and be dancing the night away in honor of the love she will someday feel for her very own Prince Charming...



I have learned so much in the past five and a half years. I have been changed completely as I have discovered what it is to be a mother. I have this little beauty to thank for many a life lesson...




I can honestly say I didn't have a fat clue what I was getting into the day they placed her in my arms. I'm so thankful that she has been gracious to overlook my lack of experience and know how...



I'm not sure there is anything more rewarding than when Carter gets all serious on me and says in a very sincere voice , "I love you and I wouldn't choose anyone else to be my mom." Which makes every little rough moment completely and totally worth it...




Happy 5.5 sweet girl. This is the most rewarding journey I have ever been on...



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy 5 and 1/2, Carter. You are such a fabulous little girl! Awesome & articulate. Beautiful & bright. Clever & creative. Spending time with you is one of my favorite things to do!
Big hug to you!

Lynnette said...

Oh, I just read this and love it! The picture of Carter looking at Ryan and Stephanie made me cry (just a little). It's hard to believe he is old enough to get married and makes me realize that Carter will be there before we know it. They grow up too fast for me. Thanks to all of you for coming all this way to share in our really special weekend. We love you all! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails