Saturday, April 21, 2012

My Little Writer

Alright, proud mama alert.  Today is one I want to file away in the "unforgettable" category.  I'll never forget the look of shock on Carter's face or the emotion Nate and I both tried to hide really well (until we both simultaneously admitted to each other that we felt teary).  It was unexpected and sweet and I'm smiling just thinking about it...but let me start at the beginning.


A couple of months ago Carter's sweet teacher (who we just love) sent home a little information encouraging her to enter the Local PBS Kid's Young Writer's Contest.  The instructions were lengthy and I knew it would be a lot of work for Carter.  I explained the process to her and she didn't need any encouragement from me to decide to give it a go.  


We went through the entire story writing process.  Brainstorming, character development, plot analysis etc. following the guidelines she had been given.  It was time consuming and something that we worked on over the course of several weeks.  I was impressed with her perseverance.  Once the story was written she then created five original illustrations to go along with it.  It was a lot for a 6 year old but she stuck with it and finally we had a finished product!  We hand delivered it to the PBS news station about a month ago (Whew!!)...



I breathed a big sigh of relief and didn't think much more of it.  Fast forward a few weeks and we decided to stop by "Kid's Day" where we could pick up her story (after all that hard work I was a little partial to having the original copy).  We found out they were announcing the winners and hung around to hear the results.  They announced third place...then second...and then I heard the guy's voice say, "And first place goes to a story called The Helping Hands by Carter".  We were completely caught off guard and all stared at each other and smiled with these dumbfounded looks on our faces.  I then shoved Nate toward the stage with Carter and fumbled for my phone to grab a quick pic...




You couldn't have wiped the smile off her face if you tried (did I mention first prize was a laptop?!)...




My 6 year old totally won a laptop today!  I was one proud Mama...




You know what I'm even more proud of?  The fact that she really did it on her own.  As the story came together I have to admit I might have tried to input a little suggestion here or there (mom's are good at that you know).  But Carter was adamant about every little detail.  She was not swayed by my opinions and every last bit of that story was her's and her's alone.  I'm so thankful that her awesome teacher put together this little video of her reading it (I will treasure having this recording of her sweet voice always)...





It was a day to remember.  After the shock wore off the girls enjoyed some of the festivities the park had to offer...








And later Carter got to play "ball girl" for one of the people she looks up to most in the world...




It was a good day (and that's putting it mildly).  I sure do love that kid.  She told me when we got home, "Mom I'm just like a teenager!  I have my own laptop!!...




Dear Carter, Today I was so proud of you that tears filled my eyes!  It takes a lot to make someone feel that proud.  You are one of the most amazing little people I have ever met.  I am so impressed by your determination and hard work.  Keep it up sweet girl and you will go far!  I love you with all my heart.  XOXO, Mom


5 comments:

Dacia said...

that is so sweet, beth! we all know where she gets her writing skills! :-) you really do have a way with words. so combine her momma's writing skills and her aunt kimmie's determination to win and we shouldn't be surprised that little 6 year old turned herself into a "teenager" overnight just by winning a laptop! :-) very cute.

Roxanne said...

Beth! I'm just beside myself! Carter's story is really good as well as her illustrations! She is an amazing girl. Pop's and I are SO PROUD of you Carter! You did an excellent job!

We feel so grateful of God's goodness.

Sam said...

Beth! This is so AWESOME! Carter is such a special and sweet girl with a mother who has such an amazing heart! I can't wait to see her gift continue to grow! CONGRATS!

Anonymous said...

This doesn't suprise me one little bit! She is your daughter, afterall! I guess it pays off at some point to "go to bed early and just read books"! :) Congrats Carter!

Anonymous said...

This doesn't suprise me one little bit! She is your daughter, afterall! I guess it pays off at some point to "go to bed early and just read books"! :) Congrats Carter!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails