Today I am 30. People keep saying, "How does it feel?" My pat answer has been, "It feels the same." And that's true, it does. But as I sit and think on it for a minute it also feels just a little bit different.
30 represents this age that for most of my young life I didn't think past. I pictured myself getting married, having a few great adventures, and maybe a baby (or two). But I didn't really picture things beyond 30. I guess you could say 30 was a destination so to speak. And now that I'm here I realize I'm not really sure what life after 30 looks like.
How refreshing.
I am thrilled to say I haven't really thought that far ahead (slightly out of character for my Type A personality). So after a little reflecting I think I would have to answer that "How does it feel" question just a bit differently.
I'd start with this, for me 30 sounds equal parts old and young. It is close enough to my twenties and all that I've recently "been" to feel comfortable and familiar, while at the same time ferrying me into a stage in life that in a lot of ways feels unknown. So yes, while I still feel like the same old "me", I guess 30 does feel a little different. And I'm totally digging it. I'm also digging this quote that one of our favorite Navy guys posted on my facebook wall (thanks Sean)...
"Time and tide wait for no man, but time always stands still for a woman of thirty." ~Robert Frost
P.S. How lucky am I to share my birthday with my very best friend and one of my most favorite people...she also just so happens to be my sister, yeah, I totally hit the jackpot. Happy Birthday Kimmi-I love you.

6 comments:
Happy Birthday dear daughter! Celebrate love! The best is yet to come.
Happy Birthday to YOU!!!
And Happy Birthday to Kim!
Love,
Joni
Happy 30th Beth! You are an amazing woman inside and out!
Happy Belated Birthday!!!! I hope you had a great weekend! (I'm 33 and as I creap towards 35, I'm starting to see that 40 is on the horizon....I haven't figured out if that's bad or not yet, though:o)
Hope it was a wonderful birthday celebration for you and Emme -- can't believe how big and beautiful the girls are. The time does fly and fly faster with the second one...you are a wise mommy to hold on to it all and document it so amazingly. Take care!
Happy Birthday Beth
Post a Comment