Friday, January 14, 2011

Crust Optional

It has been cold this week, as in really cold.  When I was picking Carter up from school yesterday I heard someone complaining about it.  Funny I think I used to be that lady.  But this week I've been loving every minute.  Bundling up my munchkins (cute baby hat required), using my seat warmer (because I really need it), drinking hot apple cider, etc.  I think Washington life created a little spot in my heart for cold, wet, dreary days and I've secretly been missing them.


When we're cooped up with no where to go I usually find myself with the itch to make something yummy. The other day Carter and I decided to whip up some chocolate pudding.  Technically speaking it is actually just the filling to my mom's famous Fudgey Chocolate Pie, but around here the crust is optional!


We gathered our ingredients...




Cute baby looking on from highchair optional...




It's a good idea to have your trusty assistant look over the recipe (because she is reading people and I mean really reading...as in you can't skip any part of her bedtime story or even improvise in the least because she'll catch you red handed!)...




An assistant in the kitchen can be very handy (especially when you are bored because it is cold outside and decide that somebody in the blog world will find your adventures in pudding making worth reading about.  In that case you will want to take photos of the process, hence a kitchen assistant coming in handy)...




A pinch of salt...




A couple of good whisks...




And then comes the pouring.  Carter thinks she's all clever pretending to help me in the kitchen but for her it's really all about the pouring...




She is totally using me for the pouring...




At this point your left with what looks like a pan of really thick chocolate milk...




Have no fear pudding is near!  Just put that bad boy over some heat, be sure to stir it constantly to avoid burning the bottom (trust me that will make you very sad), and just go for it until it thickens up.  Once it cools a bit pour it into some cute little ramekins (or something not so cute it will still be delicious)...




And later when it has spent a little time chillaxin' in the fridge you can add a dollop of whip cream (I was lazy and didn't take a photo so just picture a nice little white cloud of goodness right there on top)...




The taste buds in your house will thank you!  Your sink will thank you too because clean up is a breeze...




So if it's cold, rainy, and you need a little pick me up make some pudding!  It's so easy a 5 year old can do it (and minus the whole slaving over a hot stove part she practically did)!  


Chocolate Pudding (aka PIE without the crust)


2 Cups Sugar
2 Cups Canned Evaporated Milk
2 Egg Yolks
4 Tablespoons Flour
2 Tablespoons (rounded) Cocoa
pinch of salt
1 Teaspoon Vanilla


Mix sugar, flour, cocoa and salt in a medium saucepan.  Add egg yolks and enough milk to moisten.  Beat well then add the rest of the milk.  Cook over low to medium heat until thick.  Add vanilla.  Chill and serve.

3 comments:

Megs said...

Thanks for the recipe!We love baking in the winter, but what I consider "baking" is box recipes:) The cold can be a lot sometimes with the kids, but I appreciate the winter after living in Jax!

Roxanne said...

Oh boy!!! Chocolate pudding! So glad you shared this yummy recipe on your blog. You might add a warning! For after youur family taste this, you'll be foreve asked to make it again and again.

Sam said...

YUMO! I can't wait to whip this up! Congrats Miss Carter on your reading accomplishment!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails