Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Searching for Sunshine

It seems like everyone is Oak Harbor is willing the sun to start shining. All of the local stores have colorful pallets full of flowers, everyone is proudly displaying their spring/summer "goods", etc., etc., etc., but there's just one problem...it doesn't feel a bit like spring around here. I'm so tired of the cold, the rain, the wind and the clouds I could spit. I don't really spit when I get mad, but I might start if this goes on much longer! Anywho...we're doing our best to think positive around here and in honor of the fact that we're just certain spring is right around the corner we decided to sow a few seeds. They'll get a head start by spending a little time growing in our kitchen windowsill, and when the time is right they can head out into the great big world and spread their wings (or leaves I guess you would say). I chose to go with Black Eyed Susan's, which I'm hoping will eventually climb and cover a trellis, and Carter went with the Veggie Tales Snapdragon mix (great marketing on their part by the way)...




This was a great rainy day activity...she had so much fun!




It's as simple as planting the seeds...



and then having a little patience...


while they sit snug and warm in their own personal "greenhouse"...


safe from the cold, wet, weather...


nice and cozy, in their own little "piece" of the world...


and, not to get to deep or anything...but I can't help but draw a quick comparison. Did you know that apparently it is proven that prolonged exposure to gray, wet, damp, windy, cloudy conditions can affect your mood??


I'll vouch for it. I don't just love calling Texas home for all the obvious reasons, I also LOVE the fact that the sun smiles on Texas A LOT! I'm sort of starting to feel like these seeds...


damp, muddy, dark...


but don't worry...


it's nothing that a little sunshine can't fix...


patience...patience....patience...we're all just waiting to bloom!


We'll keep you posted! Oh, and apparently three year old's and their moods are not affected by the lack of sunshine...this little lady is as happy as a lark...how lucky am I? I've got sunshine on a cloudy day...when it's cold outside I've got the month of May...



Dear sweet Carter~You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are gray. You'll never know dear how much I love you...please don't take my sunshine away.

5 comments:

Marta said...

Ok, so I'm weird, I know it. I love sunshine as much as the next girl, but I REALLY miss the gray, rainy and cold NW. A lot. Kyle and I both get so excited when it's wet and gray here... it happens so rarely. Hoping you get some sunshine very soon! (Wanna trade places? :) )

Kim said...

cute little girl.... she probably didn't like the planting part because it was dirty!
This kid is seriously cute.
Love you guys and miss you, and hey, it's a little gray here in SA this morning.

Molly said...

amen on go away clouds! i woke up this morning to let the doggie go potty and the windy rain pelting my face was NOT the way to wake up. COME ON SUNSHINE!

also, I just checked the weather in Cabo - 80 and sunny. When do we leave?

Beth said...

Marta...I don't think you are are weird at all!! When we first got here I absolutely loved the wet weather...in a way it was a nice change from the norm, and I always loved these kinds of days in TX. I have really never gotten the "blues" until the last couple of months but I'm sort of getting a little desperate for the sun, so I'm totally up for a home swap (at least until the beautiful WA summer arrives!!) plan B molly...Cabo sounds amazing!! :)

jillian said...

how funny! i was listening to my itunes as i was reading this post and "you are my sunshine" came on! God definately has a sense of humor! FYI, it has not been too too sunshiney here in tx... a bit rainey and definately cooler than i would prefer!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails