Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sunday afternoon Apple Pie

We kicked off our Sunday (literally) with some new kicks! These boots from Roxi were just the thing to brighten up a chilly Whidbey day!
After church we stopped off at an apple tree and picked to our hearts content.


I had already started a stash from my neighbors tree across the street and was looking forward to spending my Sunday afternoon elbow deep in apples! I'm no Pioneer Woman, but was raised in the South, and my Mama (who not only looks a little like Paula Deen, but can cook like her too) makes one mean apple pie! Of course, time in the kitchen wouldn't be nearly as fun without my trusty little assistant. First things first...cute aprons are a must!

The other must have is an apple corer/peeler/slicer...this task would not be possible without it!
Here are our partners in crime...
Add to sliced apples...
And don't be afraid to get your hands a little dirty!

These are all ready to freeze...I'll add them to a pie shell when I don't have time to whip something up another day!

Another project for the afternoon was homemade applesauce...I plan on freezing this in small bags to thaw as needed...

Of course, we couldn't freeze all those yummy apples! Here's a little trick my mama taught me...
She alway's makes her pie crust from scratch...I'm not that handy...but ANYONE can use this box mix and it is the next best thing! There is definitely a noticeable difference between this and a crust you get from the refrigerator/freezer section at the grocery store. Trust me it's worth the extra trouble!
Next, pile apples high and remember they'll cook down, so stuff that puppy to the brim!

You can top with another crust, or what I prefer is a crumbly streusel topping...DElish!

Pop that baby in the oven and plop yourself on the couch...it's been a long afternoon of slaving away in the kitchen (or "appling" as Carter likes to call it)!


Just in case this has got you itchin' to make an apple pie here's the recipe!
Roxi's Killer Apple Pie
8-10 Apples peeled & sliced
lemon juice
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ginger
dash of salt
1 T flour

Mix apples with lemon juice then toss with dry ingredients. Heap high in a pie crust and dot with 1/4 stick butter. Top with streusel (recipe below)...
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
stick of butter
place all ingredients in food processor and mix until crumbly (if that's a word)!
Bake for 15 minutes @ 425 and then reduce temp. to 350 degrees for one hour! Top with ice cream (preferable Blue Bell) and enjoy!
Gotta' go...my pie's awaitin' for me to eat it up!

9 comments:

Roxanne said...

WooHoo, Beth! That's my girl! What a fun surpise it was to see such cute pics on a very entertaining post! Now, your making me want to make apple pies! Isn't it great to live in a place where apples trees are plentiful! How did y'all like the applesauce?

I'm so proud of you, sweetie!!!

Anonymous said...

amen to blue bell ice cream on a yummy pie! if only we had blue bell here....

awesome post!
- Molly

alison said...

Thank you so much for the recipe! It looks "delish"! We are knee deep in apple season here in OH too, so I am always looking for apple things to make. Have you ever made an apple crostata?? It is so simple and so yummy too!!

Christine:) said...

Hi Beth,
I found your blog from Meghan's site (I'm one of her college friends) and really enjoy your postings. Your daughter is so sweet. Just wanted to say hi and thanks for the apple recipe;)

lyndsay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lyndsay said...

Now I am craving a delicious apple pie. How awesome that you can go out and pick your own apples.Carter looks adorable in her chef get up. Thanks for the recipe.

Joni said...

Thanks--just started Weight Watcher and now craving Apple Pie!! Love the post.

PS Are you taking orders on headers??? I am sooooo very happy for Heather--okay maybe a little/lot jealous of her BIG win!!

Sara said...

Little Miss Susie Homemaker, you are! Ya'll look adorable in your aprons :)

JANELLE said...

I am so jealous you have an apple corer!!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails