Friday, October 24, 2008

Life Happens


I've been feeling it for a while now. Stressed sort of doesn't do it justice. When I sit down and think about what a contradiction my situation is I can actually find the amusement. A little more than three years ago the birth of Carter symbolized the birth of something else in my life. It all started with her birth announcements to be exact. Forever in search a "good deal" I decided I could probably whip something pretty cute up myself. I did. And not only were they cute I had a lot of fun doing them. From there it has sort of just been a natural progression...I realized at some point other people would actually pay me money to do these kinds of things for them. As a stay-at-home mom, who some days barely got out of her sweats, there was something pretty fun about that. It was also pretty fun to get paid for being creative. But, lately it's not so fun anymore. No one thing is to blame except maybe myself. I just know that over the past few years as life has happened the stress I sometimes put on myself has not made me a better wife or a better mom. This whole thing sort of started because of our beautiful little girl and it pains me that at times it has been the reason I wasn't "available" to her. This is all amplified greatly by the fact that Nate's been gone a lot lately. I mean at least when he's here I can put things off until he's home to pick up the slack, but right now that just isn't possible. We had a real heart to heart this afternoon and the outcome is this. Two giant steps back. Right now I have to let this go. I'm not sure for how long but I know that the weight it took off my shoulders feels really good. I have a dream for this whole thing...but I think that dream will just have to wait. I'm pulling the plug on my website (it was pretty "homemade" to begin with), and my hope is that someday in the not so distant future .com will be back and better than ever. I'm going to let my creativity be just that for a while. I'm sure I'll enjoy doing a few things here and there for friends and family...but by in large I'll be saying No. That's not always easy for me, but as the saying goes practice makes perfect. I know this news isn't anything earth shattering...it's just sort of big in my little world. For those of you have been supportive with your words and your money I am more than thankful and love you for it. For those of you that were going to let me do your Christmas Cards for you this year I'm sorry, but I also know there are a billion and one other cute options out there and you will find something fabulous! I'm sure most of you are aware of that and were just being sweet to "hire" me, that means a lot. So, someday when the time is right maybe I'll have that sweet little shop on the corner of some fun little town that we wind up in....my website will be rockin'...my babies will be in school...my creativity will once again make me a little money...but, as far as I'm concerned all that can wait. I'm doing my best to be my best today, and tomorrow, and the next day...hopefully this step will just be something that helps me achieve that goal. I just need to take some time to enjoy the little things in my life, I know this is a season that I will never get back...

7 comments:

Elaine said...

You know...sometimes you have to do what's best for you and if this is what's best for you and Nate and Carter...then that's what you have to do! I love how creative you are and I love that we can still see that in your blog!

Shanna said...

I'm glad I caught you before your break because the invitations you did for Bradley are the cutest ones I've ever seen! I'm proud though that you know when to say "no" and just put your family first. Enjoy your time off! We miss ya'll and can't wait to see you soon!

Case and Los said...

Good for you Beth, I am sure that was a tough but peace-bringing decision. Let me know when you'll be in S. TX, would love to see you if you have time!

Molly said...

savor that time with your fun fam! you deserve it :) plus, we really like you no matter what you do :)

Sam said...

I commend you for realizing that you needed to take care of yourself. SO often, we get in this rut (including myself) of putting so much pressure on ourselves and before you know it our once "kinda put together life" is headed into a "make everyone stressed out life". I want to also say that your talent for photography, cards, and design is brilliant. You've always amazed me with your ability to create something so personalized and unique. Good for you for realizing this was the time to take TWO STEPS FORWARD (it may seem like two steps back but I know this time will only be a positive in your life). Miss you guys and hope to see you soon!
love
sam

Dacia said...

i'm so proud of you, beth! i know it must've been tough, but the peace you now have is evidence of a decision well-made!!

(a couple months after i found out i was pregnant with ellie, i quit my job at our church (the only thing keeping me here while taylor was tdy) to move down to san antonio to be with him for the few months that he was stationed there because i knew that once we had the baby everything would change. it was one of the toughest and BEST decisions i've ever made.)

May God bless your obedience!!

Beth said...

Thanks so much girls for all the love, encouragement and kind words! I'm beyond lucky to have such wonderful friends! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails