She has grown so much in four short years...
She is becoming a delightful little beauty who says things like, "How can I help you mommy?" I simply adore her...
I really do find myself looking at her lately and thinking that I can still see glimpses of the little person she was but they are fleeting. So back to the pressure of photographing Emme...I just knew that this time of chubby cheeks and long baby hair and plump little fingers would not last forever and I didn't want it to slip away without at least a few intentional photos. So the girls and I set out to find some wildflowers and a little fun...
We succeeded...
Because my sweet little Emme, in all her three year old glory, is frozen in time...
I was watching this video earlier from Dove. I love their "real beauty" campaigns and this one was no different. They had brought in a highly accredited forensic sketch artist and had him draw women (sight unseen) based on their descriptions of themselves. They then had him draw them again based on someone else's description of them. The results were moving. The women described/saw themselves in such a negative light and the second drawing of how someone else saw them was beautiful. It renewed this thing in me that hopes and prays that my girls will always see themselves as beautiful...
Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to raise a couple of little diva's who are full of themselves. I just think that the world today has got so many people trying to be something their not, or look like someone their not and I just hope they learn to love who they are...
I also hope that they grasp what "beauty" really is. I just love this quote by Audrey Hepburn, "For beautiful eyes...
Look for the good in others...
For beautiful lips...
Dear Carter and Emerson...let me start by saying this...
image via ETSY
You're not perfect but here's a little secret...no one is. It's so odd really, we live in a world where so many people are trying desperately to be anyone but themselves. If I could guarantee one thing for your big bright futures it would be this: That you would never want to be anyone but YOU! You are each a one of kind. There is no one in the whole wide universe exactly like you. Wow right?! You have the amazing opportunity to be the BEST you there has ever been. Pretty cool right?
And here's the other thing I want you to know. Beauty is not just a pretty face. You know what my Mama used to tell me? "Pretty is as pretty does." And I'm pretty sure I rolled my eyes when she did, but guess what? It's true. So many people spend so much time trying to make themselves beautiful on the outside but it's all for nothing if you don't spend just as much time (if not more) on your inside. That kind of sounds silly I know. I mean how do you work on your inside? Well you spend time exercising your heart and your mind by treating others with kindness and respect and thinking about how you can make your little corner of the world a better place...
Life can be hard and remembering who you are won't always be easy but you've got some huge fans in your corner cheering you on. If you ever need a reminder of how awesome you are look right behind you I promise Daddy and I will be standing there with a big smile...
You have our permission to follow your dreams, find your passions and be you. We will do our best to help you every step of the way...
Strut your stuff little chicks. Go be great. Go be world changers. Go be you....
You are beautiful...
I love you with all of my heart...
XOXO Mom



2 comments:
GORGEOUS pictures of your precious ones, Beth! I love each and everyone on of them but love the message to them even more! I certainly hope to raise my girl in the same way.
Beth, your girls are gorgeous and you did an amazing job photographing them in their innocence and beauty! Such a beautiful post!
I came across your blog two years ago and I just love reading it (sorry I've never said hi until now), so full of life and fun with your two cuties and the way you tell a story!
Post a Comment