Friday, November 2, 2012

The Candidate

It seems like these past few weeks everybody's asking the same question, who are you voting for?  The Presidential Race is in full swing and most people have either Mitt or Obama on the brain.  We have been getting into the campaign spirit around here but with a different candidate in mind after Carter came home from school last week excited about running for Student Council.

She spent some time this weekend whipping out a campaign poster.  We were hard pressed for something that rhymed with Carter (other than the obvious Farter :) so she opted for the more acceptable albeit simple "VOTE FOR CARTER!"...



She delivered it to her classroom early in the week and was set to present a speech on Friday.  Halfway through the week she took a break from the campaign trail to participate in her schools "Literary Pumpkin Contest".  I must admit I tried and tried to convince her that "Oh the Places You'll Go" would be the perfect book to tackle in pumpkin form but she insisted on "Rainbow Fish"...


I'll admit I was reluctant because turning pumpkins into fish seemed, well...hard.  But in the end we came up with a concept that involved about 100 push pins and a lot of felt and a little paint and well, she was right to pick "Rainbow Fish" because she won.  You sure showed me Carter :)...



After a brief hiatus she was back to campaigning or at least preparing for her speech.  She was given the option of presenting it in person or creating a commercial for the class on DVD.  Her dad encouraged her to go the in person route thinking that would be more impressive but Carter went her own route again and decided she would rather do something silly and fun. We came up with a video concept that she thought would share some of her favorite things and make her classmates laugh.  She insisted Nate and I wear clown wigs so we traded in all of our cool points in hopes of making first graders giggle...


In the end it was worth the potential embarrassment and she was elected....   



And just in case your wondering who Carter endorses for President she's Obama all the way.  Why you might ask?  Well according to her it's because "I know him better."  Hey that works!  If you haven't voted yet I'll see you Tuesday at the polls.  At the risk of public ridicule I'm voting for the first time ever this year.  I know cue the harsh criticism but I'm happy to be getting in the game!  



7 comments:

Debbie S. said...

My Carter is 15 and when he ran for highschool student council I made him a gag gift sign with 'Carter Farter' on it..he didn't think it was nearly as funny as I did. However, he has been elected to StuCo the last two years, so I'm thinking the name "Carter" is a true leader name! PS-loved the pumpkins :)

Sarah Shalley said...

Ya'll are the BEST parent ever. LOVE it. I can only hope I'll be so creative when my Parker is ready for such fun. Definitely save this video for future campaigns. So so cute!

Roxanne said...

Beth, I just now saw the video you made and I'm grinning from ear to ear! How fun! Y'all are such an adorable family and I'm tickled and impressed. Also,I'm so happy for Carter. She is a terrific girl! (I can't get over her tumbling skills)Yay!

Jenni Mattox said...

The video is awesome!!!! Y'all are such a cute, fun family! :)

Katie said...

I loved watching Carter's campaign commercial! So cute :) She would have my vote for sure!

Jen's Journey said...

BETH!!!! I have TEARS streaming down my face from the video! How stinkin cute! Yall are such good sports. Great job! Carter for President!! xoxo

Deciduous Heather said...

You are a creative genius! I love that video so much!! Cutest thing ever!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails