Thursday, August 4, 2011

Matters of the Heart

This past weekend we made our way out west where the ground is as flat as a pancake...


My mom, Lyndsay and I joined up for a little road trip...




As the daughter of a football coach we moved a lot over the course of my life.  The summer before I started Kindergarten my dad decided to try his hand at the oil business and we landed in Midland.  It became "home" for the next 13 years.  It was a happy place to grow up but eventually those Friday night lights became too much for him to resist and he followed his heart right back into coaching.  


We've lived a lot of places but for me Midland will always be the place I mention when people ask, "Where are you from?"  It may not be my "house" but when I walk into the Nix's I remember what it was like to be a kid there...shooting our cap guns, jumping on the trampoline, and playing basketball.  It's nice to have a place to go that feels familiar and has been around for about as long as you can remember.


Speaking of memories I realized something else this past weekend.  As I walked in and hugged a friend I haven't seen in about 25 years it dawned on me that the heart has a memory of its own.  Maybe a special little corner that is reserved for one of your very first childhood "friends"...


    
Stefanie's mom and mine were best friends long before we were ever born.  According to my mom I have Stefanie to thank (or maybe she does) for potty training me before I was two.  I don't remember a lot about being little girls together...but I do remember thinking she was so pretty and a sunny morning that we gathered eggs together.  What I'm getting at is maybe the heart remembers things our mind can't. As we grow life gets filled up with all sorts of things and memories of being "little" seem to fade.  But as I hugged Stefanie my heart seemed to know just how much she meant to me all those years ago...




It was a privilege to get to spend the weekend with her.  I still found myself thinking, "She is so pretty".  She also has some of the most beautiful sisters you've ever met and a little brother who will make you laugh.  They are some of the most gracious people I have ever met and I loved them immediately.  It was a weekend I won't forget and one I was so very grateful to be a part of...



May every sunrise hold more
P R O M I S E,
and every sunset hold more
P E A C E.
~Blessing~

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Beth! Is that you in the pig tails? It could SO be Emerson. You've got to find a toddler picture to double frame with her... :)

Roxanne said...

Beth, this post is so beautiful! It was an unforgetable weekend and I'm so thankful that you were able to capture it with words. Thanks for sharing your heart so well. I love you so much.
Mom

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails