I've found myself thinking about self confidence quite a bit lately. It's a hard thing to miss when it whispers into my ear ever time I look in the mirror.
I had a baby three months ago (that's no secret) and while I've lost most of my "baby weight" things are still looking a little "stretched" if you know what I mean. I'm also sportin' the infamous "baby pooch" that took me the better part of two years to eliminate after Carter was born. Speaking of Carter, she asked me recently why they had to "sew me back together". I wasn't quite sure what that meant until she explained she was referring to the faint "pregnancy line" that is still hanging out on my stomach. Delivering a nine pounder doesn't come without a few changes to the bod.
Then swimsuit season arrives. Talk about perfect timing. Standing in front of a full length mirror, underneath those really flattering flourescent lights, it's every gal's dream right?
Which brings me back to the self confidence thing. What is it about women that leaves us so highly critical of our bodies, and not just our bodies, but our selves in general. Where does the elusive sense of perfection that we are trying to live up to come from anyway? Like I said I've been spending a lot of time thinking about this until something really great happened. That voice I heard in the mirror was suddenly drowned out by another one. This voice speaks love over me. He whispers in my ear and tells me I am His. He created me, designed me, and thinks I'm beautiful just as I am. That is pretty comforting.
I won't lie and say it means that I don't criticize myself anymore, I still do. But it does mean I hold my head just a little higher. Remembering I am fearfully and wonderfully made. And not only that, but He used me as the vessel to deliver two pretty amazing little people into this world. What a priviledge.
So to all you fellow mommies, who find yourself cringing just a little bit when those flourescent bulbs hit, I hope you'll join me in focusing on the things you love about yourself (instead of those little areas you don't). And remember we've got the perfect poolside accessory...a baby on the hip!

10 comments:
The truth, well spoken dear! I love it! I love you you.
Wow Beth I REALLY needed to hear this at 4:45am as I am headed out to go walking! I am constantly worried about being perfect! Thank you! Thank you! for this reminder. Your are right, scars are not what define us, it is who we are and who we live for.
ahhh swimsuit season. i have always struggled with body issues- but i will admit, when i look at my kids my self confidence has gotten better with age bc i feel like my body has done a wonderful thing:)
glad you are able to realize it too- and to admit that yes- there are some days we wish the lights in the dressing room would be a little less harsh:)
Ah. So many truths to this post! Here's my plan this summer season...Be in the pool about waist high teaching my 3-year old to swim and/or holding the 9-month old on the hip. This not only shows the quick evidence of why "things ain't what they used to be" but also lets the water in the pool hide my hips! Yep, I'm thinking the pool is my answer... ;-0
What a wonderful post, Beth!! We are our own worst critics. I'm less than two weeks away from delivering my fourth child and if I focused on my belly and stretch marks in a negative way, to me, it would take away from this incredible gift that God has given my husband and I. Since I hit my 40s, I am so much more at peace with myself. It sounds like you have a head start to that peace of mind. God bless.
~ Wendy
http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/
Ha! I'm going through the same thing!!! This was so good to read...Thanks :)
I'm due the day after tomorrow and already dreading the post-baby bulge. Thanks for the perspective-- our bodies are amazing, no matter what they look like under fluorescent lights. :)
Great post Beth! You are beautiful in so many ways and these words are so important to hear for all of us mommies. Although I'm still prego, I'll be expereincing the same season soon! It's great to know God sees us differently than we see ourselves from time to time.
I've just decided to sport a tankini this season rather than a bikini....I'm pretty sure this belly will NEVER be "normal" again but I wouldn't trade it anything.
*Standing ovation*!!!
It certainly does help you remember that every pound, stretch mark, droop, and imperfection were all worth it when you have that baby on your hip enjoying the summer sun!
Post a Comment