Sunday, April 4, 2010

Was It a Morning Like This

When I was little we attended the local Baptist Church. Every week there would be a "Sunday Morning Special" which meant a church member would sing for the congregation.

My mama had a beautiful voice and should have been a singing star (at least that's what I thought as a child) and my favorite Sundays were the ones when she would occasionally sing. I can remember going with her to a local music store where she would try to pick out a track.

This week there's been a lot of egg dyeing, candy eating, and basket making going on. My mind has been crowded with all of the fun "kid things" that make Easter special. But, I've also had something else playing over and over in my mind. A childhood memory of my mom singing this song that truly conveys exactly what I feel when I think of the victory Easter represents. It's a song by Sandi Patty (she was one of my moms go to gals) I hope that even in the midst of all the colorful festivities that surround this day you feel the joy and the promise that Easter represents.

Was it a morning like this
When the Son still hid from Jerusalem?
And Mary rose from her bed
To tend the Lord She thought was dead

What is a morning like this,
When Mary walked down from Jerusalem?
And two angels stood at the tomb,
Bearers of news she would hear soon.

Did the grass sing?
Did the earth rejoice
To feel you again?
Over and over like a Trumpet underground,
Did the earth seem to pound:
“He is risen!"

over and over in a never ending round
“He is risen, alleluia, alleluia!”

Was it an morning like this,
When Peter and John from Jerusalem?
And as they raced for the tomb,
Beneath their feet was there a tune?

Was it a morning like this,
When my Lord looked out On Jerusalem?
He is risen, alleluia, alleluia.

3 comments:

The Hudock Family said...

Patrick and I sang that a couple of years ago in our Anacortes choir; beautiful piece, thanks for bringing it to mind!

Roxanne said...

What a sweet post Beth! Your memory shared meant a lot, touched my heart and made me smile. You've been doing that a lot lately. Thank you, precious daughter. You mean so much to me....

We had a wonderful weekend!

Molly said...

love the song! i was hoping that the radio would be playing Easter songs for my drive to church, but i couldn't find any. Bummer though because I think those are some of the best, uplifting songs!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails