And for those who know me best that also means I'm cranky, so cranky. It is no secret that I love as in LOVE me some sleep! I don't function well without it. This can be challenging when you are the food source for a newborn because, as must of you know, you are definitely running low in the rest department.
So today we stopped by Target. It was necessary as we were running low on toilet paper and there are quite a few bums in this house. I also needed some padded envelopes because lately I'm a little addicted to EBAY and selling stuff. Anyway, my four going on fourteen year old feels just a bit too big for her britches on our shopping trips lately. I half expect her to look at me when we walk in and say, "Hey mom I've got to grab a few things, meet cha' at the register in 10," or something to that effect. She might as well because let's face it, her shopping skills need some work.
She hates riding in a cart so I let her walk. She dawdles at every distraction. She has her own agenda. Did I mention she thinks she's fourteen?? Yeah, the whole thing kinda' drives me crazy. And remember, I'm cranky.
Which brings us to the toothpast aisle. It intersects the toilet paper. Toothpaste is not something that most kids are distracted by but mine just happened to decide she was due for some Princess paste. I had told her to come on a couple of times but she had yet to round the corner and I was getting more and more frustrated. And that's when I did something I absolutely hate. I stood at the other end of the aisle and gave her the look, you know the one that say's you better get down here or else, and then I basically said, "You'd better get down here or else." Except I was one of those moms who didn't say it all nice and sweetly, I yelled at my kid right there in the middle of Target. Because I'm tired, and cranky, and I let it get the best of me.
Bummer. I think if I found a genie in a bottle I would definitely wish to be the kind of mom that never snapped at my kids. It feels so lousy. I just need an extra measure of grace today, and a little cat nap wouldn't be too bad either.

5 comments:
I'm pretty sure snapping at your daughter once doesn't qualify you as one of "those" moms! I hope sleep makes it's way to you soon!
Reading your post was actually very encouraging to me. I've totally been there. Oh yeah, like recently. (Braxton is still not sleeping through the night. Not that this news is intended to encourage or discourage you, but to just let you know that I'm there with you.) I don't think that I've yelled at Raleygh about toothpaste before, but I know it has been about something equally the same level...like bubble blowing stuff or cheese or yogurt...or something like that...Being tired does that to a gal. And, I'm not a patient person myself, so that tends not to help either. It just goes to show the level of patience and grace that God gives us and helps me to realize how His strength is perfect even when we are weak. Luv ya!
My dear Beth, I'm sorry your so tired. Unfortunately, it's unavoidable. Is there a mama that isn't and hasn't yelled? You know first hand, that I certainly have.Just use it for good Beth...make it count for something. Let Carter see how you handle your mistakes and celebrate the opportunity to be humble and apologetic in front of your daughter, that she might learn to do the same. Last, but not least pray. Tap into His endless source of energy and strength. It's real!
Hang in there girl. It will get better (in about 15 years) when she is away at college and complaining that she needs to go to Target to get shampoo but she is just too tired. What goes around comes around. My life is quieter now and I really miss those little ones running around and not minding me, but I am not tired anymore, and I get to sleep for 8 full hours if I want to! :)
BOTH Carlos and I had to apologize to Claire yesterday for ungracious acts. I imagine this won't be the last time, yet I think it's good for them to know we are human and make mistakes and that they can own their mistakes when they make them too:) Thank God for grace:)
Post a Comment