Thursday, March 26, 2009

Making up for lost time...

For the better part of my schooling I attended institutions that boasted Christian values and morals (i.e. I went to private school). One of those regulations just happened to be the elimination of anything resembling a prom, dance, etc. Don't worry...I don't really feel deprived or like I'm any less of a normal person for having missed out. I think I have attended one dance (it was in college and I'm going to go ahead and bust out with a pretty obvious observation...it was kinda' lame). I have been to one club...it was for a bachelorette party and I just about peed my pants from fear of the unknown, so in case it isn't overly obvious the person who invented the phrase goody two shoes was looking at my picture. I never went through any really overly rebellious phases...I've pretty much strived to please (for better or worse) my entire life. Which leads me to now. One of the things that sort of comes with the territory in terms of military life are social functions. Dining Outs, Balls, Holiday Parties etc. When Nate first headed to OCS and I caught wind of the possibility of attending these sorts of soirees I have to admit I was just a little excited. Visions of me in pretty dresses/outfits and him looking fine in a uniform danced through my head. The events would be classy, tasteful, well done...we'd be living the life...making up for lost time. Well, after five years in the military we've definitely attended our share of events. And, if I'm speaking honestly, they usually leave something to be desired. Of course most things don't live up to my Martha Stewart imagination...what can I say my eyes love to be entertained! I think what I am starting to realize is that these get together's are probably just a grown up version of what I missed out on all those years. Because even though I never attended a junior high or high school dance I'm gonna' jump on out there and guess that they may not be all they're cracked up to be either. Feel free to disagree, like I said I'm not speaking from much experience here. My lack of experience also leaves me usually feeling one thing...slightly uncomfortable. Surrounded by 20, 30, 40 (and maybe even a few 50) somethings happily moving their feet to the beat I am forced to confront the fact that Bethie ain't got no groove. At least not one she's willing to share. My family laughs their heads off at me...my daughter thinks I'm hilarious...my dancing seems to bring a great amount of joy to those who know me best (and by joy I mean the kind where they stare and point and say things like "stop I can't take it anymore"). But I'm not sure I'm really ready to share that side of me with the outside world. What can I say, I have issues...sue me. So, I happily stick to the reserved "I'm not a party girl" persona. It seems to work. I called her into action this past Friday night for the latest social event associated with our squadron The Flight Suit formal. Simple concept, guy's wear flight suits, girls decorate and wear a flight suit. We were happy to be going with our good friends Kenny and Molly. Molly and I took one of Nate's old suits and put it to good use...I cut the top into the jacket and after a little work Molly was able to wear the pants as a pair of shorts, what can I say, we're pretty resourceful...


Kenny got creative and turned a glow belt (something they wear while jogging) into a tie, I think Kenny and Martha Stewart would get along just fine...



Me and my favorite flight officer...



who does not share my dancing issues...



which means I may be headed to some sort of "Get your groove on" therapy or something! After all, I heart my NFO...



I want to be sure I can keep up with him!! So, to sum it all up...Socially dance deprived girl marries Naval Flight Officer and is forced to deal with rhythm issues in order to support him by attending job related functions...WHEW...I'm glad I got that out there!



p.s. As a complete side note, this photo is for my mom who did a flower arranging consultation via the phone while we were decorating on site! Thanks mom...they turned out really pretty!


4 comments:

Roxanne said...

Bethie! You are too funny, girl! You crack me up.I can see the whole thing! And hey! You did a great job 'redesigning' that flight suit. So cute!..and the flowers were beautiful. You are one multi-talented woman!

lyndsay said...

Elaine Benes... Elaine Benes... calling Elaine Benes.

Dacia said...

one of my favorite things about the military is the social functions and dining outs! glad you were able to get your groove on a little. :-)

Molly said...

i will take you to prom any time you want - one of the joys of being a high school teacher! And I am sure you have got some great moves :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails