(Kim, Jayson, Laynce, Me, Clint, Lyndsay and our beautiful Mama's)

And with every seat occupied we were off in search of the "good deals".We usually had a box of a dozen doughnuts to keep us busy...

(and by busy I mean not asking our mom's every five seconds, "Are we done yet?")...

If you wanted to participate in the fun your mom might give you 50 cents, a dollar if she was feeling generous, to find yourself a little something. It was a bit of a treasure hunt. Scouring the tables for the one thing that you couldn't live without.
Later in life it was garage sales that furnished the house I shared with my college roomies. And after a couple of months of being married I inducted Nate into the Garage Sale Nation. Thanks to our wedding it was out with the old and in with the new as we made ready for our very own garage sale...
(Nate and I back in the day)

He has never let me forget that around 4:30 A.M. I shook him awake and whispered, "Babe, it's time to get ready for the Garage Sale!" I am a lover of sleep but garage saling is the one thing that I will happily get up before dark to do.
So this past Saturday after I finished feeding my sweet little Emme at 5:30 in the morning I threw on my clothes. I couldn't help but think back to those first few months of marriage as I whispered to Nate, "I'm heading out to Garage Sale." And as I picked up my sister and our sweet friend Cayce the thrill of the hunt was in the air...

The possibility of finding something someone is practically willing to give away that you're crazy about is sort of thrilling. That is the secret though. Make sure you are crazy about it...don't buy things that you'll later be getting rid of in your own garage sale. I must say I learned that lesson the hard way.
And while this past weekend I didn't find anything but a few books for Carter I've decided I'm a hunter at heart. After all where else can you watch grown adults sprint (as in race each other) for a garage full of another man's trash. The Saturday morning garage sale crowd is it's own culture.
So thanks mom for inducting me and for passing on your love of a good deal. I'm looking forward to doing the same...I've got 50 cents with Carter's name all over it.

4 comments:
....so funny, Beth! What a fun post. Thanks for capturing it for all times...a little treasure for my keepsake box. Love the darling pics!
By the way, I suspect Carter will be a natural!
Love you so much,
Mom
Sometimes you will see an large light weight tin fire pit, but you won't know spanish and a lady who does will thrust out the ten dollar bill to the home owner just as you are trying to translate dias dolares in your mind. You will miss out. You will offer this lady's husband 20 for the pit, but she will hear you and make sure you don't get it. You see, she has one just like it at home already, but it has a hole in it (hmmmmm) and she needs this new one. You will picture all the fun family gatherings you would have has around this fire pit for many years, and the perfect shade of red you would have painted it. Then your wise sister will wonder aloud if maybe this pit was homemade, and too light weight and could blow over and start grass fires, or if the paint would bubble off and then singe children as they brushed past it. You will realize it wasnt such a good buy after all and be relived. What a good sister you have.
love it! I will never forget those days. Beth I have to agree on the garage sale "culture". I just recently had one and I had forgotten about that culture but I sure enjoyed having an excuse to wear a fanny pack. Dang! I should have thought to take a picture. Awesome pics too! I don't think I've ever seen that first one. Mom and I enjoyed sharing this post together and reminiscing.
Post a Comment