Thursday, June 17, 2010

Lesson Learned

I've been a little tired the past couple of weeks. I guess you could say we are "practicing" for when Carter starts school. Actually getting up to an alarm every morning (one that beeps instead of cries) and getting out the door in a timely fashion. Why? Well, Carter is learning to swim.

Living in Washington the past couple of years has had its summer advantages. Think berry picking, park playing (without sweating profusely), and no (as in not a single mosquito) bugs. But one thing they are short on up in those parts are swimming pools. Seeing as the temperature rarely rises above 85 the culture just doesn't call for them. So I knew that returning to Texas might pose a few challenges in the water department.

I had seen this video in an email someone sent while we were living up there and was fascinated...




At the time I checked into it there wasn't an instructor in our area and I put it out of my mind. Then a couple of weeks ago one of my friends (thanks Shannon) mentioned it again on facebook and got my wheels turning again. I was happy to find there was someone teaching here. I did a little research and we decided to take the plunge.

All this to say that last week was a little brutal. I knew that no matter who, when or where Carter learned to swim it was going to be a bit of an issue. She actually loves the water and being around it, but is not to keen on going under it. Let's just say we spent the better part of our first four lessons listening to her pleading her little heart out (tears and all) for anything that might get her out of the pool and into our arms. It was rough. As much as I wanted to rescue her and "make her day" no part of me was tempted to give in. It felt so very important that we push past the "hard part" and over the hill. I knew that if we gave up it would be even harder the next time we tried. I also felt completely confident and secure in her teachers skills and approach. She was gentle, kind, and firm.

After four long days we had a breakthrough. Last Friday was our first tear free lesson. By Monday we had smiles. And the last couple of days she is bursting with pride every time she comes up out of the water. I have been enjoying giving her a hard time...saying things like, "Who are you and what did you do with my daughter?? You know the one who cried all last week??" To which she replies, "Mom it's ME, your daughter Carter!!" I love her so much.

For me the lesson learned rides a fine line. The one that runs between protecting our children and allowing them to experience and learn. It is not always easy to allow them to work their way through something that is hard, uncomfortable and challenging. But to see the pride that comes from a little hard work and perseverance...well...it's priceless. To know that my child is learning valuable skills that will hopefully be the foundation for a lifetime spent with a healthy respect and enjoyment of the water is rewarding to say the least.

I'll look forward to sharing the end result with you (they are a little picky about filming, pictures, etc.) but so far I am truly impressed and would highly recommend it!! Feel free to check things out yourself by clicking here.

1 comment:

Christina and Toby said...

Beth!!! I'm so happy to read that you are doing this. We just met with and sort of "interviewed" the instructor in our area. I'm a total believer...my neighbor has had her son in the classes for 3 summers in a row now! It's amazing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails