Thursday, June 3, 2010

Hello Lazy Days & Ice Cream

First of all I just want to say to those of you who commented on my last post thanks! For those I don't know, It's so nice to "meet you!" For those I do, thank you so much for continuing to be a part of our life via "blog world" I'm lucky to have so many sweet friends. And for Richard I just need you to know my yodeling days are over, I swear. And now, onto Summer...

I'm a fan of summer. I feel like we haven't had a "real" summer in a few years. Don't get me wrong, Washington is pretty amazing from June to September, but it is rarely really hot. For this girl, who was raised playing ball in the West Texas dust, summer=heat...the more the better.

So I couldn't be happier that Summer is beginning to show signs of it's arrival. Hot pavement under bare feet, ice cream trucks, and skin kissed by the sun after a day spent at the pool. I can hear Summer as she whispers, "Here I come."

She was calling our name last night. Emme was cranky after her shots earlier in the day and in an attempt to calm her we headed out to the driveway. Something about being outside always seems to soothe my fussy babies. She immediately seemed happier...

We enjoyed getting to know each other a little better by staring intently into one anothers eyes...

She practiced her grins on me (one of my favorite activities)...

Until something in the sky caught her eye...

We found a little peace just sitting their together...

chilling...

we continued enjoying each others company...

until these good lookin' people rode up...

my biker chick...

and her dad (aka Lance Armstrong LIVE STRONG)...

As we stood there in the drive way Carter began flirting with the water sprinkler...

The mom in me immediately told her to back off, I didn't want her to get wet before dinner. But then a little something in my said, "Why?" So without thinking I quickly told her never mind...just go for it. Her face told me she was more than a little shocked and not quite sure what to think about that...

she was cautious at first, almost like she didn't quite know how to play in the sprinkler (she hasn't had a lot of practice after all)...

So, her dad stepped in to give her a little lesson (don't his calf muscles just make you sick)...

she took off but aborted the mission at the last second...

so they took a turn together...

and then things began to click...

she was timid at first...

but before long her little legs couldn't get her back through the water fast enough...

she was loving it...

I was loving it too. I was loving the pure joy all over her face...

watching her let go a little more with each jump...

the inhibitions she had started with gone...

she was happy...

she was free...

And I couldn't help the little twinge of guilt I felt, knowing that I almost ended the fun before it ever began...

For me I hope Summer will be all about little moments like this....

About letting go...

finding the joy in a lazy day...

eating a little more ice cream...

Welcome.

7 comments:

Dacia said...

loved this post, beth! good reminder to squelch the "mom" in me every now and then too! :-)

Kim said...

adorable:)

Sole Ravendo said...

Beth...for us it has been quite a change too to get used to the heat...(I mean "mostly me getting used to the humidity"). My boys are having so much fun...doing things we never did in WA (although I do miss WA a lot)...the freedom of getting wet, making new friends, not to worry about wearing long sleeve shirts or anything warm. I can relate to you about "letting go"...it's hard but we just need to do it (and stand close enough so they now we are there for them).
As for your earlier post...sorry, don't eat cereal very often...every now and then I'll get Special K (strawberry...because Franco loves it...so we share!).
Enjoy lazy summers and ice creams...let us know when you come this way...!!!

Kristin said...

Thank you for your post! Seeing traditional summer fun back in the states was wonderful. It's hard to be living in an apartment in a cramped city and the boys not getting to do simple things like playing in a yard sprinkler... I'm so glad you let Carter have the fun! Live your gorgeous Texas summer up for us!

Roxanne said...

Oh Beth! My heart lept with Carter every time she jumped over the sprinkler, laughing out loud and getting so tickled with her expressions. Thanks so much for saying yes and staying to capture the fun forever in pics! You are a good momma!...and Nate is an awesome daddy! :)

Gaidusek Gang said...

Hi Beth,
This is April (Fouts) Gaidusek. We were at UMHB together. I don't remember how I found your blog. I love the sweet pictures of you and your family! Glad y'all are back in Texas and near to family.

Case and Los said...

that one of Carter up close is award winning material:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails