
She was a welcome familiarity in school lunches. I could always count on a swiss cake roll to help me "unwrap a smile" even on the really tough days. My mom was the kind of mom who let us eat things like Little Debbie's, Oreo cookies and Cinnamon Toast Crunch. She never tried to trick us into thinking that a Graham Cracker was a cookie. This made us very popular, especially with our good friends the Nix's. They went on a Little Debbie binge every time they came over, the proof was wedged in the cushions of our couch in the form of empty wrappers. I was always quick to remind them that those Little Debbie's were for our lunches, but they never seemed to listen...
Lyndsay, Jayson, Me, Laynce, Kim and Clint
I love my mom for putting swiss cake rolls in my lunch. I love the fact that while sitting and waiting for 27 Dresses to parade across the screen, as I sat all warm and cozy next to my sister, just taking a bite out of a Little Debbie brings back a flash of so many memories. My mind briefly wanders down the path that leads to where that roll of chocolate and cream is headed, which is straight to my hips, but even the thought of those extra 10 minutes I'll need on the treadmill can't wipe away my smile.

5 comments:
"Those are for our lunches!" Those words were spoken as I unwrapped a moist prepackaged cake. The words went in one ear and out the other as I was hypnotized by the mini chocolate cake approaching my mouth. But if you could only understand we have to eat grapenuts cereal and fruit. No special treats were to be found anywhere no matter how hard we searched. Everytime we went to the Spradlins house we would try to control our quick paced feet on a rush to the kitchen to see what treat we could find that was never too far out of reach. Ahh... heaven. O!, hi friends good to see you. Busted!
Well yes Beth you pegged it!! You paid the price for my best laid plans to feed my family the healthiest food so they would grow up with good eating habits! What a hoot!
Mom I think you should be proud of your chillin's.Don't get me wrong I am far from being pegion holed as a health nut. You taught us well but of course everything in moderation, right? Thank you for your example. You continue to teach us about healthy living and that is clearly evident by your beautifully fit bod.
Hey girls! Glad you found this funny...it's alway's one of my favorite Nix stories. Maybe the most ironic thing is that my favorite cereal just happens to be grape nuts...go figure! :) Leslie, you are a role model in so many ways, if I look half as good as you after 3 kids I'll be the happiest woman on earth!
Post a Comment