Sunday, January 1, 2012

Twenty Twelve

We had visions of spending our New Year's Eve out on the town (what is it about New Year's that brings out the inner party animal in people?).  No big plans developed and so we had elected to save our baby sitting money and spend the evening at home.  


Nate (whose New Year's resolutions include running a half marathon) came in from a jog yesterday afternoon and announced that the girls (that would be Carter, Emme and I) should get ready we were all going to dinner.  Apparently he had decided we should start a new tradition with them of a special New Year's Eve dinner where we would discuss the year ahead and encourage Carter to maybe make a resolution or two...




Can I just say I love him for spur of the moment decisions like this.  The obvious reason is I don't have to cook or come up with dinner.  The more hidden one is I think it reminds me of my childhood.  My dad was really good at making vacations and occasions feel special and I think that my heart remembers those moments well. 


So the girls in our family got just a little more fancy (for the little girls that meant dresses for me it meant simply grabbing a shower because I'd been cleaning house all day).  Then the fab four headed out to dinner...




One thing is for sure the year twenty twelve will be a cuter place with these two munchkins in it...




Nate kept Carter in the dark about his restaurant of choice but as we pulled into the Cheesecake Factory she said, "I KNEW IT!!"  I think she has begun to associate that place with "special occasions" and I love that.  A round of drinks later we were all ready to toast the year ahead...




We had a wonderful dinner.  Just being honest we don't take the girls to "sit down" restaurants too often.  The thought of a long wait for food can be a little intimidating.  We were pleasantly surprised at how well they did and my heart smiled as Emme said thank you every time someone came by our table (whether they were dropping off water, bread or just a little plate of butter) I love that kid.


Life can be full of routine and has plenty of everyday so why not take every opportunity to celebrate...




It was one of the best kick offs to the New Year I've had in quite some time.  Topped off perfectly with a good laugh and a little time spent with two of our favorite people Kim and Bryan.  I think the year ahead will be an unforgettable one.  Welcome 2012!

1 comment:

Roxanne said...

After a good nights sleep and a hearty breakfast, your post brought me New Year cheer. I can't thank you enough for these adorable little peeks into the life of your precious family. Thank you for sharing your love. It always fills me with joy!

I love you so much.
Mom

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails