I kept thinking about that song, Letter to Me by B
rad Paisley. But I'm not thinking about sending it back to my seventeen year old self, more so I'm thinking about me 20 years from now sending it to the "me" of right now. I think with each passing day I realize more and more about how special (and short) this period of life is. So I think my letter might go a little something like this...Dear Beth,
It's me...the older, somewhat wiser, and much more rested you. Ahhhh sleep, it's a beautiful thing. I know you are missing that right now, along with time to yourself, and the things you sometimes wish you could squeeze in like reading, heading out for a night on the town, or just a little peace and quiet. But trust me on the peace and quiet thing, it's not all it's cracked up to be. Really it's kinda' overrated but here a few things that aren't...
Those sweet little baby grins...take them all in. They don't last long, before you know it those gums are full of teeth and have a lot to say, but for now take in the coos and smiles, they are priceless.
Speaking of priceless...Carter cuddling in your lap won't last forever. Those long legs just keep getting longer and in the not too distant future she won't be able to tuck them up and wrap her tiny hands around your neck. When she finds you and just wants to sit...do it. Don't let the moment pass you by. Be present, give her your undivided attention, take it all in...nothing could be more important.
Kiss your sweet husband a few extra times a day. Tell him how much you appreciate all he does to make your life a little easier. Make sure he knows what you already do in your heart...he's all you ever dreamed of and more.
Don't sweat the small stuff...I mean it...DON'T sweat the small stuff. When you get a little overwhelmed just let it go. Don't worry so much about things being clean, finished, perfect. Life is short and in the end they won't remember if you ate on paper plates...they'll remember you were there.
I know you're doing the best you can, but I just want to say this. Enjoy where you're at. Don't look ahead and don't look back. Just be right where you are. Live everyday...and don't just live...enjoy it. Love your babies, they won't be babies for long. Life is good every step of the way take the time to appreciate this one. They are each unique and deserve to be treasured.
Love,
Me

8 comments:
Bravo! What wonderful advice, Beth!...and oh, so true! Life really is too short to live it any other way!
This was beautiful Beth!! I think we all need this reminder on a daily basis. Thanks for lifting my spirit today!
Wow, can your 20-years-from-now-self add me to her mailing list??
thanks, beth! this post made me tear up a little. i'm right there with you. soooo trying to take all these moments in daily, but it's just so difficult to remember in the midst of the chaos sometimes. thanks for the reminder!
Wow, brought me to tears!!! Thank you so much for this :) Very well written!
Beth, I LOVE this letter. I also cried. God has been speaking to my heart lately about giving Luke undivided attention and being present with him at every chance I get. What a good reminder to all mothers who try to multi-task through life.
Leslie
Beth~you always amaze me! As a mom of young children I wrestle with this very thing, just like all moms! I don't get to look at your blog very often but God led me straight to it this morning...thank you for a deeper breath and bigger smile today...there is nothing more important than this very moment!
Proverbs 17:17
I couldn't have said it better. Just be thankful that our precious Father has revealed this truth to you and now the challenge is to actually live it. If you can you are well on your way to true joy! I know...because I am that older version now!! Love you, Les
Post a Comment