Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Dinner with the Obama's!

Ok...not really. But, we are heading to D.C.! Never a dull moment, Nate found out about a week after getting home that he would be heading to D.C. for a couple of weeks to do some training. We've been meaning to make it to Washington ever since Clint started working there a couple of years ago and it just hasn't happened.
So, we are taking the opportunity to make it a work/vacation trip and are leaving Friday! Nate has already been twice but I have never had the opportunity. So, for all of you who have visited the Nations Capitol what are the "can't miss activities"?! Any suggestions are welcome! Of course we will have our favorite Marine as the "official" tour guide, but I just thought is might be fun to see what others recommend! Thanks for the help!

9 comments:

alison said...

Beth,
My aunt and uncle live on Capitol Hill and I can get lots of suggestions from them. Also my cousin is interning at the Natural History Museum. I bet she would love to show some "friends" around. You are so lucky. You have to go to Alexandria and just walk the beautiful streets, Mt. Vernon, the museums at night are amazing! Also the spy museum is really fun. Let me know if you want me to set something up with my cousin.

alison said...

Also my other cousin is in the Honor Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. He oversees the changings and all that. He loves to meet people and show them around. Let me know about that too!

Elaine said...

You will love it! Too bad you aren't going in the summer. You'll have to go back and visit 8th and I! Have a great time!

Kayce said...

Hi Beth! I have been reading you blog for awhile (sorry to be a stalker!) I went to school with Nate. But anyways, we live near DC and I say that Carter is a little young for the Spy museum but it is a cool place. All the Smithsonian museums are good and FREE!! The zoo is free too! I love Baltimore too. The inner harbor is FABULOUS! And Annapolis isn't far from DC either, we love to go there for the day. But back to DC...You have to eat a 5 Guys Burger and Fries, my aunt says that Johnny's Half Shell is the best place that she has ate in a LONG time. Both have websites. If you want a good mall, Tyson's Corner and Tyson's Galleria is the best in my opinion in the area. If I think of something else, I will let you know! :) Have a great time in DC!! It is a great city!!!

Db & Em said...

Carter would love the National Zoo. It is huge with a lot of animals. We did a night tour of the monuments and that was great.

Molly said...

just have fun! also all of the memorials are neat and carter can run around outside at them! (jefferson memorial is our favorite due to his founding UVA). hope you guys have a blast :)

lyndsay said...

I am so jealous you are going to D.C. There is so much to see it can be overwhelming but besides going to the monuments and Smithsonian I would recommend walking around Georgetown. I loved that area when I went. There's all sorts of fun shops and restaurants. I don't know if you watch Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations but he just went to D.C and two places stood out to me. If you have time check out Ben's Chili Bowl and Busboys and Poets coffee shop. Have a blast!! I can't wait to see pics.

Case and Los said...

Los and I LOVE Georgetown (shops/restaurants) and the Lincoln memorial. I love the museums too- the Holocaust museum has a children's section that artfully tells history from the perspective of a child (complete with kid-sized everything), the American Indian museum and museum of Air and Space are the two we did last year. Have fun!
Casey

Beth said...

Thanks for all the great suggestions!! We're having a blast! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails