Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Beyond Chicken Fried Steak

Tomorrow's the day. Nate is headed out...it's time to fly and hopefully the time will fly. We had a great weekend together. We celebrated Father's Day (one of the nice things about the military is you learn to celebrate holiday's whenever you can). Carter and I had surprised him (he really was surprised) with a pair of Oakley Sunglasses he has tried on every time he's had the chance for the last couple of months. We knew he wanted them for this detachment and were so glad we got to gift him with them. We also got him a couple of new video games to keep him busy on the trip over. I think giving really is more fun than receiving.




Carter also mangaged to figure out how to operate my digital camera. Here are a few of the pic's she has taken of Nate and I.




We have all just been enjoying being together. Nate played photographer for these...if the photo had sound affects you would here us saying EEEEEEE:


I thought several times about how badly I wished I could just say "freeze" and have time stop. I'm thankful that Nate has encouragingly told me I've done a great job of living in the moment by not feeling sad or dwelling on the fact that he is leaving, something I've been working on. I realized I've developed a coping mechanism. I have things that I continue to look forward to getting to do with him. As long as there is something still left to do I don't feel the need to get sad. For instance....today while Carter is at a class for two hours he and I will get to spend time hanging out at Starbucks, we'll all have a nice lunch together and maybe spend the afternoon at the park. I have one of his favorites planned for dinner (chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes, a big Texas Yum!) Needless to say today still holds plenty to enjoy. Unfortunately I can't find much to look forward to beyond chicken fried steak. That's probably when my tears will kick in. I think what gets me every time is hating that Carter won't have her daddy around for awhile. She loves him so much...he just makes her face light up.





What is coming is not unfamilar to me. The raw emotion of knowing you won't hold the hand of your best friend for quite some time. There is more to it than that, but words sometimes can't convey what we feel in our hearts. Even through my tears I am reassured by a loving God that "This too shall pass." He has proven that to me in the separations we have already faced and overcome. I was also encouraged by a devotion posted by Beth Moore on the Living Proof Ministries Blog. I am choosing not to worry. I am choosing to trust God. I will selfishly relish the fact that in my moments of weakness I am drawn closer to Him. I will be thankful that my inability to do this on my own causes me to walk hand in hand with my Heavenly Father. I will trust that He will be there. I will trust that He will bring joy to my heart. I will trust that in the abscence of my husband, who is a blessing straight from God, He will be all I need.

11 comments:

Sam said...

I know that this is the day that is full of anxiety, tears, and unrest. However, it’s also the day that we know God will prevail and give us peace and rest. You WILL find the purpose in this! Always remember I’m here for you! I'm amazed at your strength and I will continue to have all of you in my prayers! love ~ sam

lyndsay said...

Well isn't Carter a little techy. She is so smart. We will miss you Nate. God Speed.

Elaine said...

You guys are definitely in our thoughts and prayers as Nate heads out.

Beth said...

Thanks for all your thoughts, prayers and kind words. I love having such wonderful friends in my life...I'm so blessed in that way. Big hug to you all!

Donna said...

Beth: You have such a wonderful strength in our Lord....He will sustain you as He has promised. Nathan is a blessing and continues to bless those that he loves. I love you and Carter and always trust you into God's hands. Geography may separate but love does not! I hope to see you and Carter soon!

Dacia said...

beth-
i happened upon your blog through mutual friends (not sure if we actually ever met at UMHB or not...seems like so long ago). but i just wanted to say that you have such a gift for writing and your adoration for your hubby is inspiring. i love your blog!

my husband is a pilot in the air force and as i read your words about nate leaving, i could feel the emotions with you. the "raw emotion"...it hurts. (maybe i can feel it more right now because my hubby is gone right now too) i know you know this, but for me it always seems the first day is the most difficult to get past (aside from the going to bed alone part)...hang in there!!!

ps. i also LOVE your choice of music! if i ever add music to my blog, i may have to snatch some of your song ideas.

Jason and Jessica said...

Jason and I love reading your blog and taking a peek into the lives of the Saxton family; he's always asking me if I've seen the latest Carter pictures. I appreciate how honest you are about everything, especially the pain of being seperated...this entry really touched me.

Beth said...

Donna--Thank you so much for your sweet words! We are looking so forward to seeing and spending time with you! Time with family makes this separation easier! We'll talk to you soon! :) We love you.

Anonymous said...

Beth, the hardest day is coming to a close and I know that tomorrow will be better, then everday after that easier. I loved the video of Carter and what a darling little chair. I wouldn't mind one of those. I could climb in, close the cover and hope no one would find me. Yeah, like that would happen! If all else, the dogs would be all over that.
Take care and hope tomorrow is a beautiful sunny day.
Love you! Lynnette

Beth said...

Aunt Lynette--I just love you! Thank you so much for making me laugh...I can't get the mental picture of you hiding in the "egg" chair with the dogs sniffing at you out of my head! Can't wait to see you soon! Thanks for the sunshine comment!

Case and Los said...

p.s. if it makes you happy to know- Nate was bragging about your Chicken Fried Steak at work and HOW amazing it was... Los came home and said," I don't have a favorite meal from you, I need to get one!" Thanks a lot Beth, now the pressure's on:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails