Carter has hit the age that we were dreading and we didn't know it. By comments we have both made lately I think Nate and I are realizing simultaneously that are little baby is not such a little baby anymore. The scariest part is I know it only gets worse from here. Don't get me wrong...she is wildly entertaining in every way. There are a million things I love and I do mean LOVE so much more than when she was attached to my boob 24/7 (I don't think many guys other than my husband read this blog, if I'm wrong sorry :) This actually brings something funny that I haven't gotten to share to mind. The other day I was hanging out with some friends one of whom is still breastfeeding her baby. Carter was watching this whole process with the curiosity of a cat and then to my horror turned to me with a crazy look in her eye and said, "I like milk!" All of my friends thought this was rather hilarious and I politely laughed along which only encouraged her to come at me while sticking out her tongue and making slurping noises! I fended off the attack but she has been fairly obsessed with the boobs. She went as far as to ask the kind woman who sat next to us on the plane home from San Diego, "Are those your boobs?" And yes, she reached out and actually grabbed her boobs! I sure am hoping this is only a phase! Anyway, that is not at all the direction I intended for this to go but, it serves it's purpose of making my point, Carter is growing up! We are now those parents who walk around our house staring at baby photos saying things like, "Can you believe she used to be that small?" We were all hanging out in our kitchen last night. I was cooking dinner and Nate and Carter were having fun dancing to some music. Nate made the comment about what a wreck he was going to be at Carter's wedding some day. I think we've just had this reality check and both wish we could freeze time for just a minute. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that he's leaving again soon which always seems to affect us in sentimental ways. On the brighter side as Carter gets older she is growing into quite a creative imagination. She loves art projects (I'm sure most kids do) but, I am hopeful she has inherited the creative gene from her overly talented "Roxie" (if you haven't checked out my moms blog you should, http://www.roxannetheartist.blogspot.com/). Nate has been bringing her home these really large sheets of scrap paper from the squadron and she loves just coloring the day away...
On this particular day she colored herself out...
I am also equally amused with her imagination. Here is a "picnic" she set up for these two little bunnies (which are actually bubble containers)...

She has also been having more fun (and making more messes) trying on ALL her clothes. She will spend an hour just changing outfits in her room. The other day I had put her clothes on for church but she insisted on picking out her own shoes and hat. The outcome was not what I would normally deem church attire...but I let her wear it anyway!
It looks like we will be flying south again for the summer. We'll be looking forward to spending some time with friends and family while Nate is away. I'm hoping for some art lessons from Roxie for Carter and I. We can't wait to spend time exercising the creative gene in her new studio! Who knows maybe Carter will be the families newest little artist.
2 comments:
Bethie-poo! What a delightful post! I'm grinning from ear to ear...completely tickled! What a treat! I'll start making plans for art projects. F.U.N. gararenteed! I love you!
Your such a cool mom to let your daughter wear what she wants. She is such an independent woman.
Post a Comment