Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Because Nothing Says Happy Birthday Like...

Growing up my family had a little tradition where everyone got to pick what they wanted to eat for their birthday dinner. Come Monday we decided to give that a go with Carter and surprise, surprise...
Because nothing says Happy Birthday like a dinner at Wendy's!

I'm not sure what exactly we had in mind. I mean for her little three year old mind and all its infinite wisdom this actually seems pretty par for the course! She also stuck to her guns. We had our first conversation about it before Nate headed to work that day, and by the time I was driving her to Mother's Day Out she had made up her mind. Our conversation went something like this...

Me (with enthusiasm): Remember, be thinking because, you get to choose wherever you want to go for dinner tonight!

Carter (with a mischevious little grin and high pitched enunciation for every other word): You know what I'm going to pick!?

Me (feigning great suspense): Where!?

Carter (with emphatic excitement): WENDY'S!!

So, Wendy's it was and that would be harder to take except it actually is one of the nicer places to eat here in Oak Harbor (does that give you a better idea of what we're dealing with here?!) We topped it off with ice cream from 31 Flavors, because we just aren't lucky enough to have one of those real fancy ice cream places with the marble slabs! And, of course, the evening wouldn't have been complete without a few more gifts...


Big smiles and thank yous to Aunt Kimmi and Uncle John...

Roxi and Pops...

Uncle Clint...

Cat Osterman meet Carter...

And, I had just been dying for her to open this one...

I knew she was just going to love it!And, her daddy just LOVED putting it all together!

I mean, he flies airplanes for a living...how hard could it be!?

I'm determined to enjoy each and every one of the 363 days I have left of Carter being three. I'm sure if you're anything like me (being a mom to a little person) you probably hear at least once a day (if not a hundred), "Enjoy it, they sure do grow up fast!" I get that. I feel it already and I'm so thankful. I'm thankful that I don't think I will look back in 2, 5, or 20 years and feel like I have regrets for not knowing that the days of being up to my knees in toddler-hood wouldn't last forever. I definitely have my moments of feeling like I'm one step away from four padded walls and pills from a little clear dixie cup, but those pass about as quickly as they come. I love being a mom (and a wife)...I think deep down inside it fulfills me.

5 comments:

Taylor and Dacia said...

cute. cute, cute! happy birthday carter!

619 Barnett Blvd. said...

Beth I want Rhian Grace to be just like Carter when she grows up!!

lynnette said...

Happy Birthday Carter! Your party looked like it was soooo much fun. Especially the bounce house. Hope you have a really fun 3rd year.
Love, Aunt Lynnette

lyndsay said...

It's not fast food, its Wendys!
It looks like that stroller was almost as hard to put together as a piece of IKEA furniture.

B E T H said...

Thanks for all the sweet comments! Lyndsay you are SO right...kids toys are the pits to put together! The only good thing is you don't have to use an allen wrench...those things drive me CRAZY!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails